Author Topic: How thin should rawhide be for bow backing?  (Read 4876 times)

Offline DaveMac

How thin should rawhide be for bow backing?
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:00 pm »
I'm working on my second bow and sort of following the bowarriors bows mollegabet build along. Anyway in the build along he uses rawhide from a dog chew, however I've read this is a bit too thick. So I've ordered some rawhide backing strips from a bow shop based in ROI (I'm based in UK) I'm also processing rawhide from a dogbone so I can make a comparison.

The dog bone rawhide is approximately 1mm, I'm guessing I can sand this down. How thin should it be?

Offline bubby

Re: How thin should rawhide be for bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:37:20 pm »
if it's from a bow shop it is probably good to go,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »
I use goat or deer rawhide purchased from Tandy Leather. I buy it in full hides, and then cut strips to whatever width I need. I can usually get enough pairs of strips from one hide to do about 5-6 bows. When it comes to rawhide, thinner is better. Rawhide works to prevent splinters from lifting, but you don't want it to add too much limb mass. After rawhide dries, it's hard as wood, and you can sand it similarly.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:52:00 pm »
I prefer to use rawhide of appropriate thickness to start and if it's a bit thick I'd rather sand the flesh side down first before applying it.
 The outside of rawhide well  prepared has a natural finish to it that I'd rather not sand into. I figure the toughest part is the outside.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »
The rawhide that I have used would compare to a piece of "construction paper" in thickness.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 01:56:51 pm »
I've run rawhide through my thickness sander, taking material off rough flesh side.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 02:02:32 pm »
the thinner rawhide is easier to work with,, and makes for easier adhering to a funky back,, I think it protects the back with out slowing the bow down,, the thick rawhide will work for sure,,, deer hide is my favorite,, but i think goat is good too,,