Author Topic: Caleb's bow Osage 52# at 29"  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Caleb's bow Osage 52# at 29"
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:36:30 pm »
This bow started out for my friend Rockys brother Dave. I hit a deer last year and he fixed the car in trade for a bow. Unfortunatley Dave died in a car wreck before I could get the bow done. About the time of Daves death I met a young man thru mutual friends named Caleb. Calebs dad was injured in a wreck several years back leaving him somewhat brain damaged and not able to fully engage his young son in the things of life. . His grandparents had him out to our place a couple times and I taught him how to shoot bows with some of the spares I had in my stable. He really took to it. In fact they said they have never seen him light up about something as much as he did about shooting bows. When Dave passed I had just gotten the bow roughed out. I decided that Caleb was a worthy recipient and would benefit from having his own gear since he had shown such a keen interest.
 Caleb is 15yrs old.  6ft 220lbs already. pretty stout kid. Can shoot a mans bow already. Has a draw length of 28" and he's probabley not done growing. I decided that I would make a bow that would at least last him for a while and would have good enough cast that when he decides he wants to learn to hunt he will have something that will spit an arrow well enough to get the job done. So I tillered it out to 29" to accomodate some growth from him.

Here is his bow:  Osage orange  62"  52# at 29"  buffalo horn tip overlays flipped tips, some heat treat to try and get the wonkiness and deflex and twist out of the handle under control. It shoots really good and is sooo light in the hand. Hope you like it. He sure does.

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Caleb's bow Osage 52# at 29"
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:39:44 pm »

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 02:49:38 pm »
Great bow and story!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:14:36 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:58:19 pm »
Touching story danny!wow, killer tiller for sure looks awesome!One lucky young man indeed,good on you danbow!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:17:42 pm »
 Really nice Danny...Love the color, character, profiles and bend...
                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 03:18:36 pm »
Looks good man

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
Your gift may positively impact anotmer.  Good on ya!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline jimmy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:02:05 pm »
Looks really good Danny, love the profile.  No doubt he'll love it. 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 05:23:41 pm »
Thanks fellas. I appreciate it.

I've started to be very selective on who I make bows for in the last couple years. I figure if they aren't gonna shoot em, I'm not making wall hangers or dust collectors. This kid has a real interest so I think he's worth in the investment. Fixed him up with a matched set of cedars that fly right out of it too. Did'nt get the pics taken on those. Nothing special just good arras.

Dang Jimmy. Its sure is good to hear from your sorry ole carcass. So you been lurking around huh?  I'm sure you've  had a few things going on. We need to get together sometime before OJAM and get caught up.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »
Great looking bow Danny.  Good to see a young man interested in primitive bows.  He's lucky to get such a nice bow to start out with. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 06:04:05 pm »
Great job.  Love. Bow and I love the story.  That's a great thing you are doing.  Love the golf cart too :)

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 07:23:32 pm »
Killer bow Danny. I know you put quite some thought and effort into this one. Nice gesture.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:59 pm »
Beautiful work on that osage, that bow looks about as perfect as they come. The young man should be in great shape with that one should he take up deer hunting in the future. Also have to chime in and say I think your made a great choice in who to pass that bow on to, from your description of Caleb it sounds like he'll get the most out of it. Nice going Danny. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline rps3

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 07:38:36 pm »
beautiful bow with a great story