Author Topic: Am I Fuggled Beyond Repair? Help with a Mid-limb Goof  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Jazzdad

Am I Fuggled Beyond Repair? Help with a Mid-limb Goof
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:22:38 pm »
The pic shows a sizable gouge about mid-limb on the right side of the limb (facing belly-side).  At this point, I've reduced the belly enough to get a slight floor tiller bend, so I'm wondering if the asymmetry can be fixed?

I ripped this hideous chunk out when I was taking the belly down to a manageable thickness with my draw knife.  Next stave I get, I'm going to be a lot more cautious.

Thanks!

I used to be a golfer, then I discovered archery.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Am I Fuggled Beyond Repair? Help with a Mid-limb Goof
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:27:42 pm »
its hard to tell from that pic, but i have a feeling if you just start to tiller not taking off wood there,, it will get better and better as you go,,
you have nothing to loose,,, just take your time and see how it does,, post more pics if you can,, especially when you get to long string,, lots of great advice here from some really great bow makers,,,  I think there is bow in there,,  :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:28:48 pm »
That's why I don't use a draw knife on the belly.  Good luck with it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 04:15:04 pm »
Can we get a full stave view?  That grain looks weird. Just blend in the edges of that gouge with rough grit. Most that will go away with tillering. Wonky as that grain is though I think your first problem is the profile of the bow. The stave has crlurvy grain and the bow doesnt seem to follow it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:12:27 pm »
Is that a board? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 07:12:52 pm »
My concern exactly.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 07:33:03 pm »
Can we get a full stave view?  That grain looks weird. Just blend in the edges of that gouge with rough grit. Most that will go away with tillering. Wonky as that grain is though I think your first problem is the profile of the bow. The stave has crlurvy grain and the bow doesnt seem to follow it.

My thoughts exactly.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Jazzdad

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 01:11:16 pm »

Here are a couple more shots of the bow.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 01:19:05 pm »
As others stated, with the limb profile not following the grain, you've got stressed wood. Blades follow grain, so drawknives expose such things. If this stave will make a bow, you can just proceed, and that spot will probably be reduced over time to insignificance. If the wood is questionable, maybe a backing is in order.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 01:43:47 pm »
I think the uneven removal of wood is giving the appearance of a difficult grain,, even the wood taper with a rasp,,, put on long string and see where you are,, i still think there is a bow in there if you take your time,,

Offline Jazzdad

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 02:29:24 pm »
Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. 

By the time I'm done with this one', I will have learned an awful lot about what to and NOT to do.  I have an ash bow that I roughed out before I started working on the hickory in the photos.  Between the two, I should eventually have a decent first bow in hand.