Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?

<< < (16/39) > >>

Badger:
   Some comments on the broadhead flight class. I wasn't there when I drafted the rules but I suspect that the reason they decided to shoot this class with broadheads is because it was the only way to control how far back the archer drew his bow. The broadhead stops at the back of the bow. If we shot this round using field points we would have to measure to where the arrow fell off the back of the shelf.

In the 50# broadhead class which is my favorite class we are shooting 500 grain arrows which comes out to 10 grains per pound. If you happen to have a guy shooting a 120# bow in the unlimited broadhead class he is still shooting a 500 grain arrow which works out to be about 4.2 grains per pound. It doesn't make much sense if the bow is being judged on it s ability as a hunting bow. This is why I favor a traditional class shooting somewhere between 8 and 10 grains per pound or whatever we agree on.
The challenge would be to have a way of controlling draw length without using a broadhead. There are some safety concerns in overdrawing an arrow and I would not like to encourage this.

redhawk55:
"Not sure why you need classes for gender or age?
Surely the draw weight will limit participation anyway."

Del, it is very true what you saw, I´ve just spoken theoretically. Very fast there´ll be a lots of classes.

PatM, o.k., but I think we´ve to limit the handles measurements very exactly.

Jules, Del, I don´t think it to be to difficult to find the good fibre stuff. Like selfbowery weaving has its renaissance, go for a supplier and you´ll get what you want, at the best biologically grown.

So who wants to elaborate our basic rules?

Michael

redhawk55:
Steve, we posted at the same time.
For to be honest I´ve not thought to much about broadheads.
Thanks for clearing up me. It looks different to me now.
But anyway it sounds delicious to handle overdrawing. There are safety concerns. Personal responsibility?

Michael

Badger:
Here is my proposal

Flight classes
All Classes 35#   50#  70#   UNL#
Two divisions Regular flight classes and traditional classes.
Regular flight
All classes would have a minimum arrow length of 21” with no weight restrictions
Fletches could be made of any natural material and be no less than 1” long and ¼” high
Natural material strings or synthetic strings subject to being voted on. I would be ok with synthetic strings
Any bow could compete in regular flight and would fall into one of 3 categories. Self, composite, and complex composite,
A self bow would be determined as using one piece of wood for the working part of the bow, nock overlays not to exceed 2” in length could be used. Built up handle and fade area would be allowed but not to exceed 12” in length. curfing would not be allowed and would be considered a lamination. In the case of recurves string bridges would be allowed but not to exceed 1” in length. Arrow rests could not exceed 2” in length and any natural material could be used on the arrow rest as long as it was not considered an elevated or breakaway arrow rest.
A composite bow could consist of any number of laminations as long as they are made of the same basic material such as wood or bamboo. The maximum arrow rest length would be limited to 2”and could be of any natural material with no breakaway or elevated rests.
Complex composite could be made using any combination of natural materials in any configuration, arrow rests or overdraws not to exceed 4” from the back of the bow would be allowed.

Traditional flight classes
The intent here is to test bows as they were traditionally designed to be used in either hunting, roving or target situations. I see this as a stepping stone into regular flight and a very important class
Arrow weights would be a minimum of 8 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight.
Arrows would be a minimum of 24” long
Minimum fletch size would be 3”long and 3/8” inches high ( metric equivalent)
Standard field tips would be used if  dull rounded broadheads are not allowed.
Weight would be measured where the tip of the arrow was level with the back of the bow. ( I would prefer a nonsharp broadhead here as it limits the draw length)
Arrow rests could be shot off the hand or any natural material to be used.
Made made string material would be allowed
The classes would include but not limited to , American longbows, English longbows, recurves, yumi bows, Asiatic bows, war bows, tribal type bows ( under 56”) Each class would have a description written. War bows would shoot the traditional arrows they have already established rules on.
The weight class a traditional bow fell into would simply be the class it fell closest to in weight, the grains per pound would equal the playing field.

Badger:
   Bow descriptions

American longbow, any straight limbed bow over 56" long that when at rest the tips were not more than 2" behind the back of the bow.

English longbow, description to be written by ELB experts

Recurves, any bow that when braced the string makes contact with the bow limbs more than 1/2" beyond the nock. Any bow that when at rest the tips of the bow are more than 2" behind the back of the bow.

Yumi and asiatic bows to be written by experts in the respective fields

War bows, war bow society existing rules will prevail

Tribal bows, any bow under 56".

I prefer the use of dull rounded broadheads in all traditional classes as a limiter to draw length and a safety device. We could easily have some manufactued for those who did not have the ability to make their own.

I also would like to allow plastic arrow nocks in the trad classes only but would not be opposed to allowing them in regular flight classes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version