Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?

<< < (14/39) > >>

Badger:
  Mark, you are correct. I have always felt that was a bad call. String bridges either glued or tied on are something else I would like to see allowed on self bows.

avcase:
Steve,
If glued on string bridges are allowed, then you have to get very specific. Otherwise, someone like me would glue on an entire belly lamination and call it string bridge. :)

That reminds me of some  issues that came up with the Self Bow division in the past. The rules stated that nock overlays were allowed, but didn't state anything else to prevent someone from making them so large as to create the equivalent of a backed bow. Eventually, a two inch long maximum was written into the rules.

Another issue with the self bow rules was that there wasn't anything blocking someone from kerfing the limb down to the handle and rejoining the kerfs to create the equivalent of a backed bow.  This loophole might still need attention.

Alan

Badger:
  Good points Allen. Anything affecting the strutural integrity would have to be ruled out. What about combining multi lam bows and simple backed bows into one class? As long as they are all wood or bamboo. I have seen advantages in building multilam bows as they are easier but not really any advantage that I can see in performance beyond the ability to stretch design features a bit further.

PatM:
There really is something to be said for just having one class. If you want to compete with your longbow be prepared to go up against a static recurve. Ultimately you're still going to compare your shot against everyone else anyway.

redhawk55:
The discussion is speeding up!

I guess we' ve to ban Alan for posting instructions how to break the rules?!

Records are shot for to be broken, rules are set for to be broken!

I guess we have to know what we want.
Form follows function! The function is flight!

Above all that's a primitive flightbow club.

My opinion about rules:

Natural materials only!!!!

4 weight classes: 35lbs, 50lbs, 65 or 75lbs, unlimited, each divided into youth, female and male.

Bow classes

selfbow: one piece of wood, not composed in length, width and thickness, overlays clearly defined in length, width and thickness, no glued on adds at the handle, handle 8" in length max., 11/4" in width and thickness, reflex or recurve 4" max.
This class should include warbows and longbows too, I really want to see compete shorties vs. longies, flats vs. warbows...................................................

composite bow: could be composed in length, width and thickness, handle see above, reflex and recurve unlimited( they are limiting themselves?), should include yumis and hornbows too, since decades hornbowyers are claiming to be the " creme de la creme", they could prove it now!

Unlimited: everything allowed, string- bridges as a belly- lam..............etc., no handle- limitations, it should include footbows, excited to see how this will turn out. No weight classes, no age, no gender.

This  sounds less but will be a total of 25 classes, that' s enough?

Sorry, but I don't see a broadhead- class in a flight- tournament, maybe as a mix of flight and penetration- measurement?

Natural strings only! I hope this will end up in better strings. The English warbowyers, the Osmanian bowyers and other bowyers got it, we still have our problems not overcome, time to get it.

Arrows: I guess we've to limit a min. weight for safety- reasons, what about the length? Wouldn`t it be much clearer to limit  the min. draw to 19", measured from the bow`s belly ? Fletchings and tips are limiting themselves.

I think for to make primitive flightshooting more popular it is inevitable to reduce classes, organizing a tournament will be easier, competition between the different designs and classes will be heated up.

I really would like to see my beloved "inuitish- styled shorties" compete with an American flat or a warbow, even I' ve to end up with the insight that an other design performed better. It will make me rethinking the design, improving or leaving it for another design.

Primarily I see the club as a possibility to improve the performance of wooden bows and arrows, to change ideas, to compete and to have some great fun with other flightbow- addicts.

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version