Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?

<< < (13/39) > >>

avcase:
I used to feel more equipment and weight divisions would be useful, but feel less that way over time. After awhile, we end up with more equipment divisions than competitors to shoot in them and the competition aspect of the sport gets watered down.

I feel there should be some sound logic that drives the creation of new bow divisions. The easiest rules to enforce are those where the form of the bow is determined by the intended job it is required to do. In other words form follows function. Where we tend to run into problems is when we try to create a category for a bow type that falls outside the original intended purpose for a group of bows.

For example, the purpose of a flight bow is to see how far one can throw an arrow. The purpose of a hunting bow is to be durable, easy to carry, reliable, quiet, and capable of throwing a heavy arrow through an animal at close range. The purpose for a target bow is to be extremely repeatable, and easy to draw and aim for shot after shot.

What usually happens when a competition is created for bows that do not match the original intended purpose of the bow?  What happens is that we eventually end up with odd hybrid bows that are created in order to meet the minimum rules requirements and set a record, but probably wouldn't necessarily be very useful for the bow's original purpose. This is why we end up with English Long Bows with stiff inner and outer limbs or "target bows" with one-off flight bow style limbs, shooting very light under spined arrows.

Go to a 3D target shoot sometime. The 3D shoot was created to simulate hunting situations using hunting equipment, but people have learned that they have a better chance of winning the event if they shoot light weight bows with light 5ggp arrows.  They wouldn't use that equipment for a real hunt.

I feel the broadhead flights are fun, but kind of goofy too.  No one creates a set of Broadheads to see how far they can be launched.  On the other hand, the war bow events do make a lot of sense. The purpose of a war bow is to deliver an arrow of substantial weight a long distance.  :-\

Just some thoughts.

Alan

Badger:
  Allen, that is my feeling exactly, thats why I suggested something like traditional classes. Regular flight and traditional using a bow as intended. This would not create too many classes I believe. I don't think at first at least most events would not have enough contenders to shoot in all classes anyway.

Ian.:
It's nice to see this discussion taking place, and about time there was some body to bring flight shooters the world over together.

I can really only speak from the warbow side of things and all I wanted to say was something cautionary; all the sources exist online to create a very accurate warbow spec, ignore as someone put it, 'the tight around the collar societies' they aren't going for historical accuracy nor should their spec even be referenced for accuracy.

Marc St Louis:
I was a bit put off with some of the rules years ago especially when my HHB warbow was disqualified by Dan simply because it wasn't quite round enough yet I had read at the time that bows like this were being used for competition overseas.  I wasn't a happy camper

avcase:
Marc,
What happened with your war bow was unfortunate. This kind of problem occurs any time that a set of rules is written up for a traditional division such as the "English Long Bow". If I would have been preparing a bow for that same event, then I would have made my bow with a flat-ish belly also. The problem is that no two people have the same idea of what represents a historical or traditional style of bow. The same kind of issue happens with traditional target bow competitions.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version