Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?

<< < (11/39) > >>

Badger:
   I am seeing the need here for a historian position. It would add a very important aspect to this group. We would need a good writer and someone who could conduct a good interview. He would need all of our help in finding contacts to interview. Time is running out here. Most of the old timers have passed on but I thiknk a few remain that could give us some valuable insights into the past.

avcase:
The modern day primitive Flight rules were drafted in the 1980's by Dan Perry and have undergone a several clarifications since.  I feel that Dan did an excellent job keeping the rules as simple and consistent as possible and I would suggest using these rules rather than invent something new from scratch. Of course, the organizer of the flight shoot has a lot of discretion. For example, the organizer may choose not to require natural string material, or may not have access to calibrated scales or measuring devices. I wouldn't let those details stand in the way of organizing a flight shoot as long as it is reported when the results are published. The organizers would also have to accept the fact that distances will have an unofficial status if all the standards are not met, but that wouldn't have to stand in the way of having a successful and fun shoot.  We are working on a proposal to incorporate these rules into The World Archery organization as well, so the event organizers would have the option to hold record status primitive events world wide.

The basic categories are as follows:

Self bow
    35 lb or under (currently youth only), 50 lb or under, Unlimited

Simple Composite (Bows backed with a single lamination)
    50-lb or under, Unlimited

Complex Composite - Bows made with any combination of natural materials
    50-lb or under, Unlimited

Turkish - Horn, wood, sinew composite shot with a sipur overdraw
    No weight class limits

For all the detail, see: http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery/Events/Rules

Badger:
  Allen, those are good suggestions, I would like to see a 70# class added to that as well as the 35# class available to the other classes. I would hope to see that the rules are tight enough to have credability even though they would not be recognized as the official world body.

In place of broadhead I would also like to see a taget bow division maybe based on about 7 or 8 grains per pound. I think this could become a popular class.

Because we are only dealing with primitive I believe we could be more liberal with classes.

Badger:
  As Allen suggested I would be in favor of using the same classes as the existing flight shooting organization but with the addition of a 35 and 70# weight class in all divisions.

The only variance to the rules I would suggest are allowing modern strings, feather rests, Glued or tied on string bridges, 21" minimum arrow and 3" arrow shelf.

DC:
What is a feather rest?
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version