Author Topic: popped splinter on osage  (Read 1418 times)

Offline sleek

popped splinter on osage
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:10:07 am »
So I just built a thin ring osage bow 64" ttt, stiff eiffel tips that were to be reflexed, and pyramid limbs. Im guessing thin ring stuff doesnt like a high stress design. At 45#@26" of draw ( was heading to 50@28 ) I heard it start to rip. I had to pull it twice more to finally find the spot starting to lift.

Plan is to use the tin rings to my advantage.  Hopefully the splinter is following a ring and I can chase a ring under the splinter. With the rings being thin I hope to not loose much weight. Then I will chop 4" off the tips to bring the weight up, retiller the limb tips to get them more involved and relieve stress in the mid limbs, heat treat, and hopefully have a 40-45#@26" bow. We will see tomorrow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

Re: popped splinter on osage
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 04:08:20 am »
I've made heavy weight 70#+ bows from very thin ringed osage and had no problems.
Most problems with thin ringed osage come when the back ring is chased. Obviously it only takes a heavy scraper stroke to violate the ring pretty bad. You've got to go slowly with these staves.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
Sleek,, please put rawhide on that   :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:50:43 pm »
Thin ringed osage shouldn't be the cause for any splinter popping. Id investigate a bit deeper and see why it happened. Maybe too much heat, maybe a flat spot, maybe an overly challenging design for the stave. Something caused that and my bet isn't on the rings, unless they are violated.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:01:29 pm »
I don't think thin rings had anything to do with it
I like osage

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »
Whatever caused it, I would hesitate to cut off 4" of length. You will be putting more stress on a piece of wood which already failed once.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 01:17:14 pm »
yes cutting it off and heat treating more sounds scary :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 02:11:12 pm »
No, it wasnt the rings. It was my fault. Bad tiller. Got my wife to take a pic and I see it bending very much there. My fault entirely and no fault of the rings. I chased down 3 rings below it and the splinter is gone. I chopped it down 4" and its now 60" long. Working on the retiller. Idk what the weight will be but probably not much.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:58 pm »
Well I got it to 32@26 after retiller. Im going to do a light heat treat and call it good. It will make a nice target bow. Gonna heat in some reflex and maybe get it up to 35#@26. Then I will be happy. No need to back it, the damaged back has been completely removed. Thin ring is good like that, you cac scrape it off.

Good note above about taking it slow on thin ring. Its a pita chasing a ring on it.