Author Topic: Osage longbow 50# @28", abalone inlay strikeplate..FD PIC added to first post  (Read 14791 times)

Offline Sidewinder

I knew the tiller would be killer.The more I look at the stain the more I like it. I'm gonna try that on the next one. What do you? Vinegar and steel wool in a glass bowl and it has a chemical reaction and then you wipe it on?  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline H Rhodes

I always enjoy seeing your work.  That is a fine looking bow and + 1 on the Ducks!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Carson (CMB)

Thanks Danny.

The vinegar and steel wool stain I learned from aaron, a member here on PA. I use household white vinegar, but I imagine any vinegar or maybe even any acid will work. Might be worth experimenting. I keep a big glass jar full of the vinegar and I regularly add old bits of steel wool pads that are not practically useable anymore. it seems to take several weeks of aging before it really affects the wood.

I use a paper towel or scrap of cotton t-shirt. I apply it before finish sanding. Used between each successive grit of paper, it functions to stain and raise the grain between sanding. It also makes it easier to to track your sanding coverage and highlight any tool marks. apply one last time after your last sanding coat and first finish coat.

One issue I ran into on this bow was that I got a little sloppy with applying the first couple coats of shellac, which required sanding some runs out with some 220 grit. The issue was when this exposed patches of bright osage where sanding out the runs. Reapplying vinegar/steel wool to these areas worked well enough.

I like the aged look and the grain standout, but it does have greenish hue that makes it look sickly to me. It looks more like authentically aged osage after some time in the sun. I am not to fond of the look of this stain on yew, but it looks great on ash, and vine maple.

aaron recently posted a vine maple bow that he used this vinegar/steel wool applied after applying a tannin rich solution to the wood surface it significantly darkened the effect.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

Thanks Rhodes!  :)
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steve b.

Nice job on that one.  It is almost identical to the bow you gave me but mine is about 10 lbs. heavier, and a real rocket launcher.  I shoot 800+ grn arrows from it and they fly great.  Still has reflex, and the world's smallest tips and handle.  It is my go-to hunting bow.

Offline burchett.donald

Carson, came back to check the bend...A+ man :o
                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Carson (CMB)

Steve, Glad to hear you are still shooting that bow. The fact that it is your go to hunting bow is the best compliment I could ever receive.
Now that you mention it, those two bows are very similar. I remember really falling in love with how that bow of yours shot.

Thanks Don!

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Another beautiful bent stick sir!  I really like those overlays, they're almost translucent.  Killer tiller also

Offline RLimerick

Nice bow and nice target range!  The wide limbs make it look like an elephant slayer!  Great tiller!

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Great job, beautiful bow!

Offline Accipiter

That full draw is exceptional, what a beautiful bow!

Offline Arrowind

BEAUTIFUL!   
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline jimjimmysticks

• practice keeps me calm in the game
nice rich mean looking bow but smooth an silky yet out standing job

Offline Dvshunter

I don't know why I missed this one Carson but I'm glad I came back to it. Beautifully simple bow.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Missed a few earlier this year.  Glad I got a second chance on this one.  Really nice.  Not fond of staining Osage as a rule, but I like the looks on this one.  Tiller looks awesome in that shot. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.