Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

My 2015 bow

<< < (14/19) > >>

joachimM:
here's a link to my thinking on crowned backs http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50344.0.html

Badger:
  Think of it this way, the belly is much more elastic in compression thatn a back is in tension. Backs don't stretch much. You really don't want to attempt to put the nuetral plane in the center of the bow. If the back starts to stretch it is ready to blow.

Marc St Louis:
Wood may be more elastic in compression but it is much stronger in tension than it is in compression especially tension strong wood like Elm or Hickory.  Finding the right balance is key.  I have found that a flat back on Elm does not work well even when the belly is heavily heat-treated.  The bow will take more set than one with a crown.  Too much crown and there's a risk of pulling a splinter but it will keep more reflex up until it pulls that splinter.  Same thing with HHB.  It's all about balance

Badger:
 Mark, I have also found that high crowns will tend to hold reflex better. And one more time I am not absolutely certain about this but I suspect that the high crown will pull the stave back into shape masking some set. Flat backs will show set readily but when you start measuring the effects of set in draw weight the higher crowned bow will have slightly higher losses in weight for lower losses in set. This would be a good thing to actually test and take notes on. I will sometimes draw a conclusion on something I think I see happening when something else is actually having the larger effect.
I am open to learn here.

Badger:
   I dropped Dan Perry a line, hopefuly he will weigh in. I believe he was around at the very begaining of primitive flight shooting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version