Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

My 2015 bow

<< < (10/19) > >>

Badger:
  Mark, I would really like to see you try a couple of the componets in one of your bows some time. I feel like I took your design to a large extent and added a couple of tecnique componets. I have a feeling it would come out much better if you did it.

Just for the heck of it I am going to list some of the problems I have had with highly reflexed bows and how I dealt with it here and with what results. The funny part is it all seemed to go back to one issue that solved a lot of problems.

1. Problem with tips too far behind the back,  instability, limbs would tend to rock back and forth at brace. Shorter bending area solved that problem. Solid as a rock.

2. Problem, instability, limbs twisting especially at brace with too much limb contact. Again short working area solved that problem. Seems very solid at brace with only very slight tendency to want to twist.

3 Problem, loss of efficiency due to heavy tips and vibration and distorsion throughout the limb. The heavier tips were needed for stability to keep the string from comming off. Again the shorter working limb proved less sensitive to outer limb mass simply because it has no room to vibrate or distort improving efficiency.

4. Problem, takes set increasing histerias. Here I was lucky to get a low crowned osage stave which allowed me to go very flat and wide. Not always possible. God blesss osage. I think the design is really made to order for glass bows or at the very least backed laminated bows where you can keep them flat and wide.

5. force draw curve. Not sure if the curve I used is close to optimum or not, long sweeping 12" radius designed for a lot of string contact at brace. The results seemd good but others may very well be better.

6. Heat treating, Makes a lot of things formerly not possible possible.

I don't think this would be practical for most white woods as they would need to be about 3" wide I imagine. Might be real well suited to ipe with a hickory back. Anyway thanks for all the kind words but in all honesty I cannot claim I hit the 200 mark with a bad chrono. I wouldn't accept less than a verified test to claim that and wouldn't expect you to either.

Marc St Louis:
I can see how this bow gave you fits Steve.  It's a bit like this bow that I made years ago, only yours is a bit more extreme.

That bow gave me fits as well and it didn't take long before the HHB belly started to develop chrysals.  I just don't know if I want to tackle another and if I was I would most certainly use a more elastic wood even than HHB.  Yew would be great with this design

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: Marc St Louis on January 09, 2015, 10:09:21 am ---....  Yew would be great with this design

--- End quote ---
Del's ears prick up and he scampers off to check his Yew stash :laugh:

Aaron H:
I wish I had a yew stash.   :-\ :-\

DC:
I've got a couple of deflexed yew staves that want to look like that :D :D Don't think if I'm up to it though :( :( Steve, have you tried Ocean Spray for that design?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version