Author Topic: Oceanspray for trade  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Oceanspray for trade
« on: December 04, 2014, 09:20:21 pm »

Hello folks,

I received a message from a forum member mentioning there's a demand for ocean-spray.

I didn't want to just post on here saying I have a bunch to trade, as I am new to the forum/ bow-building.

However, I am very interested in trades. All my ocean-spray is green right now, but if you guys place your orders now, I can put aside some for you and let it dry out.  I plan on going back out to my "standing inventory"  and cutting some more this weekend. I can trade it green, but that feels a bit shady.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.  Any one looking to cut their own, I can provide gps coordinates (UTM Z10) for a couple of my easy access (2 min walk from highway) spots on the island.

I was also a bit of a rock-hound before this new hobby, and have a decent mineral collection (my geologist friend puts it to shame though).   Lots of semi-translucent sea-green chert, smoky cherts and more blood red jasper and agates you can shake a stick at.  Also have a source for very sharp (but sort of brittle) slate/shale. 

-thanks

TN

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
Re: Oceanspray for trade
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »
I would love to get some OS or vinemaple, but I am in Fl. check to see what shipping would be from there to here for a length that the postal service will handle, my zip coe is 34731-5418.
Thanks in advance
Johnny
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 10:05:19 pm »
PM sent
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:36:50 am »
I have trouble finding vine maple on the island. Even douglas maple is rare here.  The mainland has tons of vine maple. 

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:02 pm »
What sort of things are you looking for in return?  I would like to try a bit of OS someday.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:20 am »
I am interested in knappable colorful stone. What are looking for in trade?

WA

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:12:06 pm »
Sorry about the late replies.

I'm looking to trade for .... you all guessed it OSAGE! , or some snakeskins and sinew.

here's some pics of the rocks,

The red jasper is extremely hard.  Probably needs heat treatment (I don't know a thing about knapping)

The green chert would be the best bet.  Some of the chert has fractures, there should be some good material though.

Also, I will not be able to send any of the ocean-spray for at least 6 months.  The rock I can send jan-feb as time allows.

please pm me if you are still interested.

-thanks 

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 12:01:59 pm »
Are you looking for full length Osage staves or are you interested in billets as well?

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 11:38:10 pm »
You sure that green stripy stuff is not slag from an Iron furnace. Looks glass like.