Author Topic: Dragon rasp  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Loope

Dragon rasp
« on: January 01, 2015, 05:53:58 pm »
Some of you guys have probably tried the Dragon rasps from Stewart MacDonald Luthier supply, but I have not seen it mentioned.  I ended up buying one and just and received it yesterday.

Everybody seems to love the Nicholson #49 (USA), but not the Brazilian made versions.  With no luck in finding a good Nicholson, and after reading reviews on the Dragon from guitar making forums, I decided to buy one and see.  The Dragon rasp is hand-made (I think made in China) and costs about the same as the Brazilian #49.  The shape is much broader.  I think it will work well for large curves like fades, but probably not as good for arrow shelf and nocks.

I played with it on some scrap wood and I have to say it seems decent.  Time will tell how quickly Chinese steel rasp will wear out.  It isn't quite straight, and lacks the nice finish I have seen on other rasps.  Since I don't have a #49, I can't compare the two, but I can say without question that it is far, far, far better than my Kobalt rasp.  I still need to make a handle for it and really get some time with it, but for now I tend to think it will be a decent tool.