Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight Warbow?

<< < (2/4) > >>

WillS:
I'm reading this quickly so forgive me if I've missed something Del, but are you not describing the Welsh Class flight shoot? 

Any single-stave bow wood allowed provided it's indigenous to the UK (so English/Welsh yew and all other woods such as Hazel, elm, ash etc competing together) and must fall between 95lbs and 110lbs so that the skill in achieving the best distance is down to the archer, not a heavier bow than everybody else.

Arrows are to be made to a certain spec, but I guess that's the case with any flight shoot so as to minimise variables. 

There are way more details on the bows/arrows/strings on the Welsh Class page, but is that something similar to what you're after, or were you hoping for something more open, to allow for recurving etc?

PatM:

--- Quote from: Del the cat on December 29, 2014, 10:25:49 am ---
--- Quote from: Marc St Louis on December 29, 2014, 09:14:04 am ---The problem I see Del is if you want to compete with the Warbows then you'll have to comply with the rules over there and my understanding is that they are a bit "tight around the collar"

--- End quote ---
Hi, yes, but there are more than one society shooting "warbow/longbow"
The ILAA has an excellent, very well documented and quite loose longbow definition, allowing as much deflex/reflex as you wish on the grounds that the wood will limit itself. Each clause of the definition has the reasoning behind it explained which is very refreshing.
Just in case anyone is interested here it is.
http://www.longbow-archers-association.org/definitionlongbow.html
Del

--- End quote ---
That article seems to have an odd definition of recurving.
 The use of "ascetically" is a bit puzzling. I do not think that word means what the author thinks it does.  ;D

Del the cat:
Just checked the EWBS, they bang on about a warbow must be like the Mary Rose bows but then say they must not have any induced reflex... err, but quite a few MR bows have substantial reflex... mind we can't be certain what they looked like originally.
I think there is often confusion between reflex and recurve... dunno if there is really a good agreed definition... not to mention backset.
From what I recall the ILAA spec says any reflex (recurve) must be over half the length of the limb or more . E.G no flipped tips ... or at least that's how I read it.
It's pretty obvious that most of the people writing these definitions have never read or written a military specification :laugh:
Del

WillS:
My limited understanding of the ewbs specs is that they're just trying to eliminate obviously flipped tips.  They say heat is allowed if it's used to straighten a bow, but there's obviously a very large grey area between straightening and altering the shape for your benefit.

If you're hoping to use a 100# bow built purely for distance (flipped tips, reflex/recurve etc) then I guess it wouldn't be much like a military bow, and you might need to find a specific place to use it.  Sounds fun though, I'd love to see what super heavy bows can do with a whole heap of tip flipping.

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: WillS on December 29, 2014, 01:31:30 pm ---My limited understanding of the ewbs specs is that they're just trying to eliminate obviously flipped tips.  They say heat is allowed if it's used to straighten a bow, but there's obviously a very large grey area between straightening and altering the shape for your benefit.

If you're hoping to use a 100# bow built purely for distance (flipped tips, reflex/recurve etc) then I guess it wouldn't be much like a military bow, and you might need to find a specific place to use it.  Sounds fun though, I'd love to see what super heavy bows can do with a whole heap of tip flipping.

--- End quote ---
I'm not thinking flipped tips... and it would look like a warbow. Very much like the 100# elm I mad but with a little deliberate drflex at the grip and then the limbs sweeping in a gentle reflex to finish with about 1" of reflex (e.g tips 1" further away from archer than the back of the grip)
Del

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version