Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Flight Warbow?

(1/4) > >>

Del the cat:
Not sure if flight warbow isn't a contradiction in terms, but I'm thinking of making a few flight bows next year, two being warbows 90 -120# and one more like a primitive.
Problem in the UK is there aren't any flight shoots with a primitive category so I'd be up against carbon and f/glass (spits on floor). I'm looking at maybe trying to set up a primitive flight meet if I can find a venue.... problem is , most land owners just don't understand bows and it's rather hard finding out who actually owns the land in the first place.
There are flight shoots for longbow and warbow, mind with at least 3 different deffinitions of "longbow" even that gets a bit silly ::)
I'm thinking or Hazel and Elm for warbows (meane wood bows) and maybe Laburnum for the primitive.
Probably going to buy a laser rangefinder too with some money the Santa gave me :)
With a warbow there's the trade off of draw length vs limb mass. Maybe a hint of RD and a stiffer mid section would help, I'll also be going wide as possible within the 5/8 depth width ratio rule. Trapped back, heat treated belly.
S'pose I'm rambling rather, but I'd be interested in any thoughts, comments etc.
Seasons greetings to one and all of course, and lets hope for another great year of bow making on PA :)
Del

redhawk55:
Mass of the limbs is the  challenge here!
Do the bow as short and narrow as a warbow could be.
Greatest challenge here is to find an arrow matching the high drawweight and not being to heavy.
Michael

Marc St Louis:
The problem I see Del is if you want to compete with the Warbows then you'll have to comply with the rules over there and my understanding is that they are a bit "tight around the collar"

Del the cat:

--- Quote from: Marc St Louis on December 29, 2014, 09:14:04 am ---The problem I see Del is if you want to compete with the Warbows then you'll have to comply with the rules over there and my understanding is that they are a bit "tight around the collar"

--- End quote ---
Hi, yes, but there are more than one society shooting "warbow/longbow"
The ILAA has an excellent, very well documented and quite loose longbow definition, allowing as much deflex/reflex as you wish on the grounds that the wood will limit itself. Each clause of the definition has the reasoning behind it explained which is very refreshing.
Just in case anyone is interested here it is.
http://www.longbow-archers-association.org/definitionlongbow.html
Del

Badger:
       I would love to see the flight rules re written for english long bows, not familiar with warbow rules. The current 50# record by Dan Perry is about 340 something yards. This is one of the more impressive records I have seen. To be competitive in this class it is really not practical to stick to the ideal of what an ELB is all about. For instance this bow mentioned was 60" long, stiff center. I would imagine that a 100# bow built about 64" long could do quite well also but would it be sticking with the tradition of english long bows?

One thing I do like about the primitive classes vs the modern classes is that we don't specify the style of bow so we can build whatever we feel will work best and not feel like we are violating some traditional style code. The modern longbows  are another class that I am not crazy about. American longbows are not designed to shoot 3 and 4 grains per pound, they are hunting bows being used in flight. I would put a 6 grain per pound minimum on them to encourage sticking with the traditional style.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version