Author Topic: I gotta MC of 6%  (Read 3929 times)

PK

I gotta MC of 6%
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:50:04 pm »
I know I missed that thread somewhere, the Bow I just finished was around 6 % MC and that was hickory.
The stave I just got in the mail is 6% and is maple, Be there a difference in the type of wood, I thought Hickory an maple where about the same in streangth.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: I gotta MC of 6%
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:05:27 pm »
6% is good for hickory. I would let the maple sit around for about a week and get used to your climate. Might be a bit low for it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:41:43 am »
Jawge is right-on, but you can still lay out the bow outline and cut it out if you are excited to get going. Just don't go flexing it yet.
Rich-

PK

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:21:30 am »
Jawge is right-on, but you can still lay out the bow outline and cut it out if you are excited to get going. Just don't go flexing it yet.
Rich-
No I was planning on starting on it in a month or so, gotta finish up on the hickory board Ive been working on. got 2 bow out of it so far and , I have 4 more to go.
2 youth bows, 1more long bow and a short flat bow. I'm pretty sure I can do it thanks to you guys and your exelent suggestions.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:44:24 am »
PK I'm surprised that maple I sent is that low in MC. I cut it in July and our humidity is generally 80% or so
up here. I assume you used a moisture meter? my understanding is they aren't always accurate by all means let
it aclimate to your climate. Is this going to be your first bow from a stave? If so its a little different than a board
or laminated bow. So take your time and remember to exercise the limbs every time ya take wood off.
Glad ya like the stave.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:59:39 am »
I was thinking the same thin Dana,that seems mighty low for one that hasn't been in a hot box.
I ant sure on Maple but I think that is to dry,I suspect it is higher than that.The meter I have
witch I don't use much anymore really only reads the out side.I have checked stave's with it and it shows dry and cut into it and it be almost green.Badger I know uses a lot of Maple he probably
would know better what is best for it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

PK

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:28:13 pm »
I was thinking the same thin Dana,that seems mighty low for one that hasn't been in a hot box.
I ant sure on Maple but I think that is to dry,I suspect it is higher than that.The meter I have
witch I don't use much anymore really only reads the out side.I have checked stave's with it and it shows dry and cut into it and it be almost green.Badger I know uses a lot of Maple he probably
would know better what is best for it.  :)
   Pappy
I let the folks at the business down stairs test it with thier meter they are fire and water damage company I hope thier meter is right.
I am kind supprized that it would only be 6 % Humidity, here is about 78 % My place is really dry and a average 60 degrees.
This will Be the first stave bow I will be doing But watching you guys with your superb explainations of every thing I should have No Problem, I used to think chasin the ring was On the belly side, was wondering about the summer and spring ring, Since you harvested in july that would mean that the back is the summer ring just under the bark.
Looks like I will have to chase 2  rings to get the grooves out of the backand still have the back at the summer ring, yes?.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:30:30 pm by PK »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:47:53 pm »
STOP!!! Don't have to chase a ring that is the back. With white wood peel the bark and thats the back. The grooves and other little blemishes won't cause any trouble they just add character. Its sealed with shellac so some denatured alcohol and a bit of very light sanding ought to clean the back up nicely.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

PK

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 11:35:30 pm »
STOP!!! Don't have to chase a ring that is the back. With white wood peel the bark and thats the back. The grooves and other little blemishes won't cause any trouble they just add character. Its sealed with shellac so some denatured alcohol and a bit of very light sanding ought to clean the back up nicely.
OK Just checkin, answered that question well, I like the back of that stave any how, have agood one.I use shelac to seal my bows can't handle the Other patroilium based killers. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 11:42:58 pm by PK »