Author Topic: Birch for a sinew backed recurve?  (Read 4346 times)

nailbender

Birch for a sinew backed recurve?
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:58:32 pm »
 I'm still kind of green on this bow building stuff. I've made some lumber bows and a couple from tree staves, and though I'm still at the novice stage, I'm looking for a change of pace from straight stave bows. So, I've decided to try my hand at a sinew backed static recurve. I've got a bunch of paper birch staves ready to go. I've also got couple HHB staves and a couple oak staves, but since I've got about 15 birch staves on hand, I'd really like to use those for my first experiments. Is paper birch a viable option for a sinew backed recurve? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Birch for a sinew backed recurve?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:53:39 pm »
Never tried White Birch but I did make this sinew backed Yellow Birch static recurve many years ago

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:58:09 pm »
Marc, how did that Yellow Birch bow work out for you anyhow?

I plan on trying it this winter. Likely Hickory backed tho.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:49:34 am »
Welcome to PA nailbender, not sure how the birch and sinew will work but am interested
to see if it does and how well. Where ya from?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 09:32:11 am »
That bow pound for pound turned out to be one of the fastest bows I ever made and would shoot a 10 gpp arrow at 185 fps. The wood works easily and is strong.  I haven't used that bow in years and the last time I braced it, which was about 4 years ago the tiller was off.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

nailbender

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:58:36 pm »
Thanks Marc, I think I'll give it a shot. By the way, what were the dimensions of that bow? Just like to have an idea where to start. Dana, I am from Brainerd, Minnesota. Thanks for the welcome. I really like this site and I am continually impressed by the bows alot of you guys turnout. I can only hope that someday I will be able to craft something that will compare. Dale.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »
Dale
That bow was 62" long with 2" wide limbs and was tillered to just over 50# @ 28". For White Birch I would go a bit longer but keep the same width limbs

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com