Author Topic: fixing a lifted splinter  (Read 2182 times)

Offline jeffp51

fixing a lifted splinter
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:56:12 pm »
Okay, I got into the mess a year ago when my son's scout troop started making bows, and I thought that looked like fun.  Since then I have finished several bows, but none of the original scouts have--one is still interested, and I have been helping him.  We have a little problem.

The bow is a 60" red oak board bow with mollegebet-style  taken from the Boarrior bows video how-to.  In the tillering it lifted a splinter/ cracked a little  on the back.  I superglued the heck out of it, and added some wallboard tape backing.  So far it is holding up at 35# @25", and I think that is as far as I will go with it, tiller-wise.  the working limbs are 2 1/2" wide and about 15" long each, so there is not a ton of bending wood to work with.

My question is whether wrapping the area with rawhide at this point will help it at all to hold together or provide additional safety?

Offline bubby

Re: fixing a lifted splinter
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:28:23 pm »
You might put a wrap on it, even good thread and soak the heck out of that with ca
You know a pyramid bow is a better option when trying to mass produce a bunch of bows
A molly is a more difficult build for a first timer
Make sure you shoot the heck out of it before you finish it and make sure it's sound
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:09:26 pm »
I know.  It is the design the scout master found and started with before I had even started thinking about making bows,  now I am trying to make it work for him.  I may help him make a more simple bow later if he is still interested.  how far on either side of the splinter should I wrap?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:15:31 pm »
rawhide is stronger than thread,, you can do both,,,1 inch on each side of the splinter should do,,,stretch the rawhide before applying ,,, so when it shrinks it will be really tight,,,,, use lots of glue,,,  :)

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:02:05 am »
Wrapping with a strong thread like linen, B-50 Dacron, fast flight, nylon mason line will mechanically hold down most splinters even with out coating in glue. The glue just keeps the thread in place. Keep your wrapping tight. I like nylon mason's line, it's very strong and inexpensive. I use a short piece of one inch pvc pipe to help pull the string tight. If the limb is tapered start on the narrow side of splinter. I put the spool of thread in a bucket and put a few wraps around pipe as a handle/toggle to pull the string niece and tight in a close wrap past the splinter.
cheers fiddler49

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:14:54 am »
B-50 wrap and soak with super glue.  I have found that to be a very strong fix.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:48 pm »
Agree with mason line. cheap and strong. As mentioned, superglue the heck out of it.
It has worked well for me. I know, I have broken a lot of wood. :(

TIC,TIC, SNAP!
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.