Author Topic: Am I screwed?  (Read 5471 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Am I screwed?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 12:44:36 pm »
Do as roy said and u don't need to glue, plus if it's an inch wide narrow it down to about 1/2"- 5/8" to start
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:57 pm »
Got it!
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Roy

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 12:53:48 pm »
Right at that splinter, I would rasp from the bow tip towards the handle so you don't rip off a bigger chunk. Rasping towards the tip could cause it to pull deeper into the center of the limb. It will be fine, just take your time right there.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:26 pm »
You're probaly screwed, yes. But the tip looks like it can be saved easily.   ;D
As said, there's lots of room to go narrower, or alternatively, you could do overlays.
Don't shoot!

Online Hamish

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:44 pm »
Also make sure the nocks are smoothed with some sandpaper, as sharp edges concentrate the force of the string and can split off the edge.

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 10:19:57 pm »
Lemme get this straight,  you tried to make a bow, out of wood? If you aren't prepared for a lifetime of wood chips everywhere,  sawdust in your hair, reckless driving while gazing at the perfectly straight wood growing on the shoulder of the highway, ( personal driver helps, I married mine so it's not all bad ) and looking at every piece of straight grained wood furniture and thinking, I could make a bow of that, and having a collection of dead animal parts, then yes, you are screwed.  Completely.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 11:38:21 pm »
Lemme get this straight,  you tried to make a bow, out of wood? If you aren't prepared for a lifetime of wood chips everywhere,  sawdust in your hair, reckless driving while gazing at the perfectly straight wood growing on the shoulder of the highway, ( personal driver helps, I married mine so it's not all bad ) and looking at every piece of straight grained wood furniture and thinking, I could make a bow of that, and having a collection of dead animal parts, then yes, you are screwed.  Completely.

Funny! Your "reckless driving while gazing at the perfectly straight wood growing on the shoulder of the highway" comment (as well as the other ones) was spot on. Been there. Done that.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 01:30:27 am »
Me personally. ..

Still there doing that. .. lol
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline TimBo

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 10:32:42 am »
Yeah, Mr. Sleek has pretty much summed it up.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 11:47:07 am »
Looks like you got under there with some sandpaper. Been there.

Here's what I would do. I'd get it out of there. Starting from the nock end I'd knife it off. Looks like it is splintering into the nock becasue the grain is going that way so go the other way.

Adjust the nock accordingly. Remove wood from the other side and reshape.

Time to round off all 4 sides with a scraper-like tool and sandpaper.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 11:49:51 am »
You could also consider a single side nock design also...just a thought. 
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 12:46:58 pm »
And that's why your a teacher Steve O! Smart, smart, smart!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:02 pm »
No doubt.  It's why I get paid the big bucks, my friend. ;D
1’—>1’

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 02:55:00 pm »
I salvaged the limb. I am in the progress of SLOWLY tillering to my draw length right now. So it is still a bow...for now.