Author Topic: tiller fatigue fresh eyes please ( completed )  (Read 11691 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: tiller fatigue fresh eyes please
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 02:03:59 pm »
Judging by the unbraced shape, the  bow is bending more out of the fades and less at mid limb, BUT, you are probably gaining speed if you don't end  up with more set at the fades.

You haven't told us the length (unless I missed it, and I did look). If you have 55# now I'd say you are getting plenty of work  out of the bow. Again, just shoot it and watch it,  particularly string follow. Check after every 10  shots or so. If you get more set, note where it is and thin the  other areas--carefully.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 02:37:46 pm »
Yeah, that top limb bends too much out the fade. I tried heat treating it there to stiffen it but it made no difference.  I guess osage doesnt heat harden like elm hickory ash locust etc...  I left it braced most the day yesterday and pulled it a lot. Seems to be settled in on set but I gotnit strung now too and will do the same today. That should tell me where its taking the most stress.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »
at this point you would really be fine tuning,, if it shoots well,, I would do as suggested and shoot it quite a bit and adjust if the tiller should shift,, :) or not if still shooting great,,, no need to loose any weight if that is a consideration for this bow,

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 03:25:57 pm »
The twist is probabley what Im seeing. Its no doubt a dandy. Dont listen to me. Shoot it and see how it behaves.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 07:53:35 pm »
I think it looks good. See how it shoots. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
Looks really good Sleek.   

Below is a composite pic- one layer was rotated a bit tho'.   If I did anything, I'd thin the areas with the red marks a tad to get them working a bit more in keeping with Tim's mantra on mid-limb bending in the TBB.   

c.d.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »
Man I keep looking at the pic you made there. On my phone screen its hard to see but im guessing the limbs are see through here and the lay on top each other perfectly? Is that what I am seeing? If my tiller really looked like that id be tickled.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 10:18:47 pm »
i think if he makes that part of the bow work more, the reflex will bend out,,

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 03:45:13 am »
I don't. Reflex is held better in thinner wood.
I still think it's bending too much out of the upper fade but it could be that wavey bit.
The tracing of its profile before being bent is the simple answer to all these 'tiller issues'. Set tells you everything.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 11:39:07 am »
Mike, I dont understand,  how does thinner wood hold reflex better?  I dont want the tips working, and I thought thinner tips would bend? What am I not understanding here?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »
Mike, I dont understand,  how does thinner wood hold reflex better?  I dont want the tips working, and I thought thinner tips would bend? What am I not understanding here?

Not speaking for Mike,  but thinner wood can bend farther before taking set.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2014, 08:40:40 pm »
if reflex  held better in thinner wood,, then you could make the recurves in a recurve bow thin,,  but you have to leave them thicker so they dont bend out,,  sometimes even adding overlays or underlays to strengthen the reflexed area,, , maybe it is true in some applications in a slightly working recurve,(slightly working),, if you have  a reflexed area in the working limb,, it will appear stiff,, so make it look like the rest of the bend ,, sometimes the taper is violated,, and you end up with over stressing  the reflexed part of the bow,, I agree the set is telling about this bow,, given were the reflex is in the limb,, I think it is good,, I think the set is due to that part of the bow doing most the work,, but if that is all the set it takes,, ok,, a straight stave bow with the same set and less mass on the outer limbs would probably perform about the same,,  if you thin the reflexed area with even taper I think it will bend out and the bow will take more set,, the reduced mass may make up for it and it will still shoot well,,, it just wont have the same unbraced profile,, :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 01:08:25 am »

Finally revisited this bow. The new full draw pic is above. I have decided to flip the bow end for end because in this pic the upper is stiffer than the lower. As in this pic the upper limb took 1/4 set from flat against the wall and the lower took 3/4. Flipping it will help I am sure. What do yall think? Better than before?

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 02:04:16 am »
Sleek, crop your pics so just your bow is in them. It will be easier for us to see. Horizontal is better than vertical.
Also you should show a braced pic. If the string is parallel to the handle the limbs are pulling equally. cheers fiddler49

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 11:18:01 pm »