Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

Great system for testing wood

(1/2) > >>

Badger:
 Digital Image Correlation: GOM      http://www.gom.com/metrology-systems/digital-image-correlation.html       For anyone interested check out this link. It is a dream come true for anyone that really wanted to analyze what the wood is doing in a bow.   For some reason I can't get the hyper link to work? If anyone knows how to put in a hyper link I can e mail the link.

P.S. You were just missing the l in the html at the end of the link Steve

Marc St Louis:
Steve
As an aside, I've had a few communications with a retired engineer by the name of Richard Baugh from out your way.  He convinced a university grad student to perform stress tests on heat-treated wood to see what the benefits were in relation to bow building.  He sent me the report a few weeks ago, very interesting.  Let me know if you would be interested in reading it.

Badger:
  I certainly wood Mark, I have been in close touch with Richard lately. heat treating is one of the big things I am really interested in. I am building a box to experiment with slow heat treating over several hours. I was advised about 280 will be my optimum temp by a gentleman who works in the wood industry and does wood curing for other reasons. I wanted to cure without scorching.

Badger:
  I have another gentleman who works in a test laboratory where he can paint the wood with a special paint and then use some kind of special photography to show things like strain and location of nuetral planes. He offered to have one of his students run some tests on a bow next year.

Ian.:
Marc, would it be possible for thatarticle to be posted up online for us all to see?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version