Author Topic: White oak long bow  (Read 4500 times)

Offline H Rhodes

White oak long bow
« on: December 25, 2014, 10:28:38 am »
I had to post these few sorry cell phone pics of a friend of mine named Robbie Limerick with a white oak bow that he made for his 6' 6" tall nephew.  This is Robbie's seventh bow.  I infected him with the bow building bug a couple of years ago and it does my heart good to see him turning out bows like this one.  It is 71" tip to tip, 58lbs @ 28", heat treated belly with no induced reflex other than a slight flip of the tips.  This bow has great cast and took very little set. His overgrown nephew is getting a great Christmas present!  I have been wanting him to sign up here and post some of his work for some time.  It is cool to see someone become a bowyer before your eyes.   :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

Re: White oak long bow
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 11:00:14 am »
Nice work Robbie, that looks like a nice bow from what can be seen of it. Glad Howard got you infected with the bow bug, looks like you caught on quick too. You need a friend who is a better photographer than Howard though to show off your fine work. ;D
Merry Christmas Howard and Robbie. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:03:28 am »
Damned fine taste in bows sir!!!! It looks great.....but we need to talk about your taste in friends >:D    Hey Howard
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 11:04:35 am »
  Howard way to go! Good looking bow from Robbie...He's so fortunate to have you as mentor, that's priceless right there...See your back into the White Oak again eh ;)
                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:04:43 am »
  Great work wirth the white oak.  Heat treating really improves it, huh! 

Was that from a tree or a stave?  I have only worked with WO boards.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:05:13 am »
  Ha!  You aren't wrong Greg.  The pics suck and don't do his work justice, but they were leaving town and there was no time to get a decent camera.  I just had to share this bow with y'all.  It was like my own Christmas present to see what a good bow he has learned to build. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 11:07:02 am »
Thanks guys!  That bow was made from a stave that Robbie cut on his family's land over in Mississippi.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »
Nice looking bow.  That bow should fit that tall boy just right. 

Howard, why don't you drag Robbie to the Classic with you next spring.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 01:03:29 pm »
Outstanding! Came out really nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 01:26:38 pm »
Howard,
Tell your friend Robbie the bow looks mighty fine,

Howard, why don't you drag Robbie to the Classic with you next spring.

And yes,  bring him with ya.....more the merrier :)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »
I tried to get him to go last year.  I have a small group of converts here in this county that I may be able to bring to the Classic.   Robbie would be in hog heaven.  He gave his wife an osage pie server and rolling pin for Christmas.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline RLimerick

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 08:41:53 pm »
Halito!  I finally sat down and registered onto the web forum.  Might as well.  It would be the final jump across the fire to complete my primitive archery training!  Howard has been very patient with me and my ears have been strong to listen.  This stick bow archery is strong medicine!  It is a lot of fun.  I have been making knives and other primitive items for about 20 years now.  Howard the Great introduced me to this archery stuff after I inquired to him about atlatyl construction.   The rest they say is history.  Glad to be with the website.  Looks like a fun place.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 09:48:34 pm »
Glad to see you jumped right in......I met Howard for the first time at the Classic last year.  He makes me smile every time he talks, plays the guitar, and /or sings would love to see you around the camp fire next year at the Classic.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 12:29:37 am »
Nice job on that white oak Rob and welcome to the forum. Lots of good info good friends and helps inspire and feed the addiction.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline RLimerick

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »
Whenever I reply to a comment I have to answer seven questions.  Now I do know that I am a bowyer noob but it's tough to answer the questions for EVERY comment I make.  Perhaps after I have jumped through the fire enough times I will get the hang of how this forum works.  (It would be much easier to just offer 3 beaver pelts to the tribal council!)  I can spell arrow and longbow backwards (even in a police presence!)  I understand security issues but DOG!

Rob O