Author Topic: Well.... (Questions Added - Page 2...)  (Read 10176 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Well.... (Questions Added - Page 2...)
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 04:00:27 am »
Yes you can get a flat sawn board and then chase a ring - no problem. In fact that would be a great way to learn about reading grain in a flat board face and seeing how that corresponds to the shape of tree it came from.
45# is a nice weight. I used to shoot 65# all the time but this winter me and a mate have been shooting a serious amount of arrows (playing archery darts!) so I dropped down to 43# and it's a dream. I would call 35# and below 'light'.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 06:17:15 am »
Thanks Mike.
Are there any limitations when chasing acring on a board? Can I do it on a highly violated board (with lots of V's on the back)?

My thoght on this is that if the rings are highly violated, that means that the tree  was cut at a steep angle. Meaning that if I chase a ring starting from one end, I can fing myself with a very thin board at the other end.
Correct?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2014, 11:19:29 am »
get the best board you can find,, leave it longer and wider and rawhide back,, that will give you a great chance of success with intended draw,, for example you might want to go to 2 inches wide and maybe 68 or 70 in length if you can,, i would go longer if the board is iffy,, you just want to get a shooter,, you can refine and make a rocket launcher as your gain experience and get better wood,, :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
Arachnid, you are right about the board ending up thin on one end.  The cure is to look for a flat sawn board where you can see good rings, and one ring, barely exposed, running full length down the face of the board.  the rest of the growth lines will run parallel on each side of the middle.  I once found anred oak board like that with a SINGLE growth ring half an inch thick making up most of the board.  Best oak bow ever!

BTW, I have made some pretty passable bows from tool handles.   Two ash shovel handles will be top quality white or European ash, have visible growth rings, and you can tell whether the grain runs off the side with a practiced eye.  That'll make a really good American longbow up to 7 feet long.  Chase a ring and socket, or splice a handle and leave it thick.  Same thing with hickory ax or pick handles.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2014, 04:03:23 am »
Tool handles you say? :o
That`s interesting.... Maybe I`ll give it a go. I just need to find tools with the proper bow wood handle...

Offline bubby

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »
with a flatsawn board you are going to get islands, don't get these confused with grain run off, it's not the same thing, all boards have violated rings that's how they become boards and I never chased a ring on a board not saying not to, just don't have to, you have to look for grain lines running at sharp angles on all four sides, with quartersawn look for squiggles in the grain as that is a defect in the grain and will likely cause problems
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2014, 04:00:46 pm »
Tool handles you say? :o
That`s interesting.... Maybe I`ll give it a go. I just need to find tools with the proper bow wood handle...

Yeah, might be different in Israel.  And you still have to look em over pretty close.