Author Topic: Osage sapwood  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Osage sapwood
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 11:58:36 pm »
Jon those were'nt hotdogs them was genuine bonafide Southern Kansas Venison Andouille sausages. Only the good stuff around here.....lol.

Feral... you almost got it.Make sausages, eat steak and chase a ring... I'm salivating on the thoughts of the prawns though. One of the nice things about living in a climate that gets cold in the winter is you don't need to ice down the beer. It stays cold. In fact if it gets too cold you have to insulate it from the cold to keep it from freezing.

Springbuck  As we all know, Black Locust is much more receptive to crysalling that osage. I know there are several that has posted sapwood/heartwood osage bows that were really nice. Maybe one the benefits would be the contrast between the white and yellow. Must have just been the stave though because as many can attest BL is a super good bow wood but must be properly tillered. Its not as near as forgiving of mistakes as osage. I have made a bunch of mistakes with osage and it has allowed me to impersinate someone that makes good bows O:)
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 12:52:17 pm »
Not very scientific I know but I made a sapwood bow months ago and heat treated the belly. The bow hold about 1/2 inch reflex. I like this bow very much and decided to copy it exactly,  only this time, with a heartwood back. I haven't heat treated yet but the all heartwood bow has lost all its reflex and taken about an inch of set. I will heat treat 2 inches of reflex in and see if it keeps it.

Theory in development here is that perhaps sapwood is a more stretchy back than heartwood. This allows for less set in the bow by not overpowering the belly so much.

Id really like to make another sapwood backed bow, and then make a heartwood backed bow of the same tree to narrow out different wood properties as a variable.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 01:16:42 pm »
  Oh, yeah, Sidewinder, I know BL very well.  It's one of the best woods I have available.  I was saying it was exactly that, the stave.  Sapwood has held beautifully for me (on BL) as a single ring on the back.  But, when put in compression, it acted like BL for the stiffness, but seemed to have no compression strength OR elasticity.

Sleek, that would be areally big discovery, if it works out you are right.  Cool.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
It may be a big discovery but im keeping in mind that there must have been a reason for the Native Americans to go the extra work of chasing a heart ring. Idk what that is though.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 03:19:04 pm »
Sleek. Was the all heartwood from the same stave as the one you did the sap/heartwood with. If so you may be onto something, however if not could be a moisture content difference. The heat treat will matter too.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »
No sidewinder, different tree different ring count. Big differences that prevent me from saying Ah ha and more like hmmm...... more bows must be built for comparison.  I need to get some sap on staves that I can split in half, and make twins. One with sap and the other without. Then do speed test and fd curves on them. Cant bring myself to test to destruction though.