Author Topic: Osage sapwood  (Read 4724 times)

Offline feral

Osage sapwood
« on: December 24, 2014, 12:06:06 am »
http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery/hunting-bow.html
Hey all,
I found this a while ago.
It says to leave the sapwood on when making the bow out of Osage.
Can anyone offer advice?
Cheers.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage sapwood
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:13:42 am »
You can leave the sapwood on the bow or take it off.  Most people remove the sapwood.  If you leave it on, make sure you chase a ring on it.  And seal the back up any time you remove any wood from it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline feral

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 02:27:23 am »
Cool thanks
The Osage I have is cracking along the sapwood so I might take it off.
 :D

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 09:49:42 am »
anyone know what the "boam" wood the auther mentions is? i have never heard of it before.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:05:24 am »
What "boam" is seems to be a mystery.
At any rate, the author says to remove the sapwood and that's my advice, too, unless you are working a save that does not have enough heartwood.
Thanks for this article, ferral. I liked it.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:13:39 am »
I'm sure osage sapwood is tougher than most white woods heartwood, however I would remove it. Why eat hotdogs when you can have steak? Properly chasing a single back ring will produce a pristine back that will last a lifetime.  No offense to you hotdogs lovers, I'm just sayin...lol  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:36:37 am »
If you are sure the sapwood is sound(handled properly from the stump) you can leave a sapwood ring or two on an osage bow. I've done it on a few occasions with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »
I'm sure osage sapwood is tougher than most white woods heartwood, however I would remove it. Why eat hotdogs when you can have steak? Properly chasing a single back ring will produce a pristine back that will last a lifetime.  No offense to you hotdogs lovers, I'm just sayin...lol  Danny

I wonder if it really is better than white woods.  I have only small experience with osage, and always chase a ring, but I once found a 4" plus black locust sapling, ramrod straight and clean as a whistle, with NO heartwood.  I made a bow that would have worked beautifully for elm, floor tillered it, heat treated the belly, and got it on the tree.  It was so stiff for the dimensions.  But when I got it bending at all (with a scale at 50 lbs) the wood just sat down, crumpled and folded up.  No elasticity whatsoever.  Stiffness, but no return.

The bow I was making would have been fine in maple, elm, white mulberry, honey locust, etc...and wide than needed in black locust heartwood.

Either way, danny, I'd chase a ring on osage.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »
heart wood is the most consistent ,, if you dont have enough wood, then use the sap wood, but if you do take it off,, work a ring either way

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 07:29:51 pm »

Coming from a guy that makes his own hotdogs ;)  I will say they were tasty though Danny.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 07:38:07 pm »

Coming from a guy that makes his own hotdogs ;)  I will say they were tasty though Danny.
You guys are killing me...... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »
anyone know what the "boam" wood the author mentions is? i have never heard of it before.

Dylan, I hunted for the definition of "boam" here and on the Leatherwall for several years off and on with no success. I did get a lot of ribbing for my efforts. If you search the word on either forum you will find my trail. It was a cold trail when I walked it.  ::) I even did lots of google searches and found people with the surname Boam and other useless stuff, but no bow wood. Some folks suggested that the author, Sam Brown was pulling our many legs or talking trough his hat (no hat in the photo of him ;) )

Good luck if you go on a boam hunt.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 12:16:03 am »
I heard Boam was an acronym for bozo on a mission. >:D

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 02:07:37 am »
anyone know what the "boam" wood the author mentions is? i have never heard of it before.

Dylan, I hunted for the definition of "boam" here and on the Leatherwall for several years off and on with no success. I did get a lot of ribbing for my efforts. If you search the word on either forum you will find my trail. It was a cold trail when I walked it.  ::) I even did lots of google searches and found people with the surname Boam and other useless stuff, but no bow wood. Some folks suggested that the author, Sam Brown was pulling our many legs or talking trough his hat (no hat in the photo of him ;) )

Good luck if you go on a boam hunt.

Jim Davis

thanks jim i did google it shortly after asking and like you said lots of people with the last name and other such like that is no help to me ::) i did run into a few posts on several forums asking about it but it looks like it will remain a mystery for now.

Offline feral

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 03:05:40 am »
Right so if I want to make a good bow, make hotdogs, eat steak and chase my ring.   :o ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I did find out that the pipe from an old trampoline frame was the perfect size to make the handles. Galvanised steel and easier to squash than the pipe they show. I'm think of building the submarine next  ??? ???
Merry Christmas all you poor cold northerners. 30 degrees here, going swimming and icy cold beer and fresh prawns for Chrissy dinner.  White Christmas? You can have it. I saw snow once, I see no reason to ever see it again.  :laugh:
I'm a tropical boy.

Merry Christmas again  :) :) :)