Author Topic: I need Tillering Help!  (Read 6506 times)

Offline Easternarcher

I need Tillering Help!
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:31:18 pm »
Guys, I got this BBO, 66" and I'm shooting for 55lb at 27 -28in. I'm afraid I may have screwed it up! :'(
At 6.75in. brace the right limb appears to be stiff, but it's only 1/4in less than the left side.  I'm afraid to go any further without help cuz I don't wanna miss my weight, and it already appears that I've messed up the tiller at draw. I'd say for sure that i got it bending way too much out of the fades.

These pics are taken at 25 in. draw at 55lbs. Where do I go from here? Sorry about the pics, but I can't back up any further in this tiny shop.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: I need Tillering Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:39:54 pm »
I like the right limb better than the left.  Left looks to be bending pretty hard in the first third (near the handle).

One thing I've observed, is that the BBOs tend to hold up pretty well with a less-than perfect tiller.  So if you are concerned with having enough poundage, I'd simply stop and call it done when you run out of room.  At 66" and a 28" draw, you're not near the limit of stress even if you have more focused on one region than another.  I don't see any outright hinges anyway.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:12 pm »
I like the right limb better than the left.  Left looks to be bending pretty hard in the first third (near the handle).

One thing I've observed, is that the BBOs tend to hold up pretty well with a less-than perfect tiller.  So if you are concerned with having enough poundage, I'd simply stop and call it done when you run out of room.  At 66" and a 28" draw, you're not near the limit of stress even if you have more focused on one region than another.  I don't see any outright hinges anyway.

No, I don't see any real hinges either, but it kills me to mess up like this! It seems I'm developing some bad tillering habits like scraping to much near the fades. It looks ugly tho! I still have a couple of inches to go too, wonder if I should creep along and get it alittle closer to draw lenght?????

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:21:52 pm »
I wouldn't say you messed up.  These backed bows are kind of a different animal to tiller.  There is a real tendency to have it bending too much near the fades.  It really helps if you taper the belly slat and the bamboo backing prior to glueup.  You get a lot smoother R/D profile this way too, with less cranking on clamps.  And a lot of people put in a power lam either between backing and belly, or between belly and handle piece.  I usually put a power lam between belly and handle piece, its easier to do.  The power lam bolsters that inner limb and makes it easier to avoid the hinge near the handle.

You might be surprised to find how little amount of scraping it might take to round up that left limb.  Once you get close, it gets pretty touchy.  Thats good because you won't lose a bunch of weight making the correction.

One more thing, I recommend you photo yourself drawing the bow as a final step in tillering.  A lot of times the tiller will look quite a bit different from the tiller tree, when it is in your hand and being drawn.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:54:25 pm »
I wouldn't say you messed up.  These backed bows are kind of a different animal to tiller.  There is a real tendency to have it bending too much near the fades.  It really helps if you taper the belly slat and the bamboo backing prior to glueup.  You get a lot smoother R/D profile this way too, with less cranking on clamps.  And a lot of people put in a power lam either between backing and belly, or between belly and handle piece.  I usually put a power lam between belly and handle piece, its easier to do.  The power lam bolsters that inner limb and makes it easier to avoid the hinge near the handle.
You might be surprised to find how little amount of scraping it might take to round up that left limb.  Once you get close, it gets pretty touchy.  Thats good because you won't lose a bunch of weight making the correction.
One more thing, I recommend you photo yourself drawing the bow as a final step in tillering.  A lot of times the tiller will look quite a bit different from the tiller tree, when it is in your hand and being drawn.

Thanks Tom for the encouragement! I need it right now on this.
Well this does have a power lamb between the boo and the belly wood. I like a non-bending handle section.
Round up the "left" limb? I'm thinking that the right side needs to be rounded to match...Then take it to final draw weight...

I'll have to get a buddy to come over to do the pics at full draw on the weekend.

Thanks again.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:11:59 pm »
OK guys/GAls, after 50 shots, this bow is holding 1/4" positive tiller.
In the braced pic, the left side is the upper limb. After initial sanding with 150 grit, she's pulling approx. 50 lbs at 26..5-27" draw.

Opinions? Should I work the right side limb or leave it be and finish her out?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:39:20 pm »
Fine looking bow for sure.  Tiller looks smooth and even-bending in your drawn shots.  I'd personally call it done.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:26:23 pm »
I wouldn't change anything, looks good to me.
VB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:50 am »
Looks good to me,I would finish it up.Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:28:44 am »
WooHoo! Thanks all!!! I'm thinking I'll finish it too and start another...Taking this one bunny hunting maybe in a couple of weeks.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:27:54 am »
Awesome! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:34:25 am »
Looks good to me also
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:22:06 pm »
I like it!!! But it looks to me like you are drawing the arrow on the wrong side of the bow?

Offline uwe

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 02:34:44 pm »
Thumbs up!
If the arrow would be on the wrong side, wouldn`t it fell to the right side, because the bow is held with top tip to the right side?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:52:24 pm »
I didn't notice that until uwe pointed it out, why is the arrow on the right side of the bow?

Tiller looks good to me.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI