Author Topic: Mobile shop!  (Read 3331 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Mobile shop!
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:35 pm »
Hey first of all hope this is not in the wrong folder but I didn't see one that it would fit any better in.  I've had to give up my workshop to go to graduate school, so I made this setup with the help of my father in law!  I've very excited about it.  My workshop was mostly knife making focused, and this will be a nice change.  Open, clean, quiet, relaxing!

2" steel tube and a 1/2" plate from the scrap yard. Cost me $20, not including the vise, which I've had!  Jaws are padded with leather, for an optimal grip that won't mar the bow!  Eventually I'll clean the rust off and get some paint on it.  All I'm waiting for now is some shims to keep it from wobbling and some nicer weather!  Btw, weighs about a million pounds!

I used to have the vise mounted right on my tailgate, but it was too heavy and messing up my latches.

Offline PatM

Re: Mobile shop!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:51:58 pm »
Just don't put a longbow in it and drive through a narrow garage door. I saw Blackhawk build one that would take out the walls.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:08:30 pm »
That's a good idea, nice work.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
Originally I ordered a Porta Vise.   Evidently $230 buys you wobbly aluminum and a small vise with misaligned jaws

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:49:46 pm »
Dedication to the craft!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »
Looks good.  Might also be a slight deterrent to tail-gaters.  (I know, I know--you probably detach it while under way.) Still, I can't help but smile, remembering the lady who drove her Mercedes smack dab into the back of my GMC 2500, ramming the extra-long drop-down trailer hitch half way back to its tailpipe.  She said (dropping in an F-bomb for good measure) that it was my fault for having a piece of steel sticking out the back of my truck. 
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:17:09 pm »
...and when you are working on super heavy war bows you can use your truck to check the draw weight!  :laugh:

looks pretty sweet!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:41:05 pm »
Maybe I should take my spare pipe and sharpen the end.    That will discourage tail gaters.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:52 pm »
I like it. Good idea. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:59:23 pm »
     cool

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Roy

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 08:06:50 am »
I'm betting the front wheels of that Ford are about a foot off the pavement.. :) LOL

Offline ajooter

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 08:13:05 am »
I got the same thing! No 45 tho.  The horizontal piece is just long enough so I can still open my tailgate for a workbench.  Mine is also quite heavy!!