Author Topic: School of hard knocks  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: School of hard knocks
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 12:11:13 pm »
You could always grind the belly down below the frets and add a compression strong belly lam and retiller. I did this on a 60" osage static recurve I made. The bow was built about 2 months after the tree was cut. If felt dry and worked like dry wood but it fretted and took excessive set. After adding the Argentine osage belly lam and retillering the bow came out great. I gave it to a friend two years ago and it is still going strong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »
I used to do a lot of rifle shooting and my grandmother being old stock would tell me I was going to shoot out the barrel and essentially she was right, but then I had several rifles.  The same can be said of a bow, too much target shooting and your well loved hunting bow will suffer the price
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 12:17:59 pm »
great advice Mark, you can buy a new barrel for a rifle, hard to buy a new limb for  sinew bow,, I like the idea of the belly lam, I have never tried that,
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:40:16 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 02:20:55 pm »
Good comments and advice, Pearl it happened mid upper limb, here is a former full draw pic it was the first bow I made that wasn't from a board ,good anology Marc I'm a former avid rifle shooter & I know Brad is to  so that one hit home for me Pat to be honest I have never liked chasing fixes on any thing I would rather just take my medicine for my mistakes and get it right on the next one I put my mistake bows on the wall as a shrine of what not to do ,unfortunately it's been growing lately lol as shown the tiller is off in that area I didn't see it then but clear as a bell now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:39:00 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 02:42:02 pm »
Yes sir, you can see exactly where and why it happened. 80% of the bending is done in that area while the fades and tips are stagnant. Bottom looks pretty good. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »
I would start another. Mr PD is right again. to much bending in that spot.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!