Author Topic: hazel stave youths bow  (Read 2266 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
hazel stave youths bow
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:03:40 pm »
Hi All,

My son is 14 years old and currently shoots (at the range) a 20lb (at 24") club training bow.  I have roughed out a hazel stave to 60 inch length and 1.25" width at the fades. The thickness of the stick is currently 3/4" (20mm).  The weight of the bow will need to be SUBSTANTIALLY reduced now I have reached floor-tillering.  My question is how much thickness/width is a safe minimum as I aiming for 25lb at 25inch draw?

Thanks
Stuck

Offline bowmo

Re: hazel stave youths bow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »
Well if you planning on keeping it 60" long  at that draw weight/length you can make it as narrow as you want, tho that might be a bit long for a child. The thickness isn't something you should view as a number tho, what ever thickness it a bows ends up is just product of removing wood to achieve the draw weight you are looking for.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 06:56:57 pm »
I think that length is fine for a 14 year old, i think you will end up about 3/8" thick when all is said and done
What design are you building?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:44:25 am »
The child concerned will be able to look me in the eye by next Autumn!  I was looking to make a flat bow, the stave was 3inch diameter and so the bow is not particularly high crowned, but I could be tempted to hollow the limbs a little if the eventual thickness means that the sides meet the crown and the draw weight is still too high.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »
Go about 2" wide, if the draw weight is too high and you can't go thinner without losing width you can run a spokeshave down the back and decrown it. Or go down to about 1.5" Personally I'd keep it w-i-d-e  :laugh:
Don't go shorter and keep the grip short to maximise the working limb length as insurance against helpful "friends" overdrawing it... >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:36:02 pm »
Hi Del,

I understand the keeping it wide thing is important with hazel, hadn't thought about reducing the grip length - was going for a six-inch grip (including fades), but I really like the curves on the crown and would rather not de-crown if at all possible, I have the tools needed to hollow the limb, what are the pros and cons??

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 05:01:17 am »
Hi Del,

I understand the keeping it wide thing is important with hazel, hadn't thought about reducing the grip length - was going for a six-inch grip (including fades), but I really like the curves on the crown and would rather not de-crown if at all possible, I have the tools needed to hollow the limb, what are the pros and cons??
Dunno, not done a hollowed limb, but I appreciate the desire to leave the back alone.
Hollowed limb sounds cool.... gotta give that a go.
Just measured a couple of mine and they are about 6" grip including fade... it's the ones with 4" below the arrow pass and another 4 inchesabove with another couple of inches of fade that waste a lot of wood.
Del
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:04:27 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:08:12 am »
3/8 (13mm) was pretty much spot-on, so time to get the long string out.