Author Topic: Bandsaw Use--Revisited:  (Read 8144 times)

Offline Comancheria

Bandsaw Use--Revisited:
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:15:51 pm »

My friends: I apologize in advance for having diarrhea of the mouth, but I suppose you know that by now 😊.  A couple of disclaimers and a little full disclosure:

First: This thread is in the nature of general research and providing for my education.  I PROBABLY will not be buying a bandsaw in the very near future.

Second: I am interested only in the use of bandsaws for bow making.  It is highly doubtful that I would ever want to re saw 14-inch lumber for veneer--or cut out 50 cute little elephants in one pass--or get a bowl ready for the lathe.

Third: I have read almost everything on this site about bandsaws.  I know there is a lot of good feeling about Grizzly and if I bought one today it would almost certainly be that brand.  However, most of what I have read goes back a couple of years--to 2012 or even 2008.

And finally, I am aware--through reading, though not by experience--of both the time and labor saving advantages, as well as the limitations and dangers to the bow of use (or rather misuse) of the bandsaw.

I am considering the following Grizzly's:

3/4 HP: $490
1 HP:    $600
1.5 HP: $825

The first two include shipping--the last one has free shipping.

That said, for those of you who do use this tool--HOW do you use it for bow making?  Freehand rough cutting of staves?  Boards?  Do you ever cut whole or half logs that require more than a six inch depth of cut?  What one blade would you buy?  (I am thinking maybe a carbide with 3-5 teeth per inch? 

Any other uses I am omitting?

I know at least one of you long-time bow makers feels 3/4 HP is enough.  Comments?  Especially on power needed and value for money of the three listed saws?

And for those Grizzly fans out there: do you still like the brand?  (All other brand owners feel free to chime in too.)

Thanks, as always,

Russ

When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bubby

Re: Bandsaw Use--Revisited:
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:12 pm »
Grizzly is a good brand, as far as power more is always better but 3/4 will do the job
I use mine for rough out boards and staves cutting tip overlays lots of things, you might check craigslist
You may be able to get a deal on a used one, mine ain't a grizz but i got a 14"at a yardsale for $50
And it gets it done
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 02:30:10 pm »
Russ, I have a Grizzly 14", 1hp saw. I use it primarily to reduce rough, split out staves to floor tiller staves. It saves me about 3 or 4 hours of hard drawknife work. You can get the bark and most of the sapwood off too if you are careful. I rarely use my bandsaw for finer bow work. Its too easy to screw up.  I love my Grizzly and haven't regretted buying it for a second. I would suggest the 1hp model. I think a little overkill is way better than overloading an under powered saw. If you are working with boards you probably only need the 3/4hp but I work mostly with osage split out staves.   I just bought 2 new blades for my saw. They are 4hook. I think the next ones I buy will be 6hook because the 4hook is a bit too aggressive for me and they get in a bind easier than the ones I used before.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:37:32 pm »
   I have a 14" delta 1 horsepower. It does a pretty good job but there are times I wish I had 1 1/2. If you can afford 1 1/2 I would go for it. 6" is about the biggest I like to put through mine, I occasionaly go a little bigger but try to avoid it.

I would have to say the bandsaw is my most used power tool with the 6" belt sander the second most. They are very handy for flattening bamboo backing stips, cutting laminations, all aspects of roughing out a bow. I use it a lot more on white woods and tropical hardwoods than I do osage.

As for blades I used to buy expensive blades but no longer. I pay about 10 bucks for the 1/2" 4 tooth carbon  backs I think they are called. I have a blade welder and some bandsaw stock but only use it when I am in a pinch. If my supplier has 3 tooth in stock I will often buy that as well, better for cutting laminations.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:28:12 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I go back and forth on whether I will ultimately buy one.  Although info have one Osage on the ground which I will get to in mid January and a lead on others--most of my bows will be first from boards and then from white wood staves when I have had enough lessons from ya'll😊.  I have every axe and hatchet known to man and 4 wedges--so I can and will split. 

I will never get into woodworking in general (don't need one more expensive hobby)--though a table saw and sander would be handy--and if I go with the 3/4 HP bandsaw, I could afford a decent contractor-sized table saw as well.  But mostly I will be making bows.  I have decided I am serious about that. 

Am I correct in assuming that you all mostly make freehand cuts?
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 03:32:49 pm »
I bought the 14" 1 hp anniversary model from grizzly this past spring and I have been very pleased with it.  I use it for roughing out bows from staves.  I also use it to cut slabs of osage  for knife handles.  I have only used the Orson blades on it so far and they have worked well.  Bubby mentioned Craigslist.  That is a great place to find a deal on a used saw.  If you go that way, look it over good before you buy one.  I just sold my table saw.  I found I used it more as a table than a saw.  If you are going to get serious about bow making a band saw will be a wise investment.  It will save a lot of work and muscle soreness from swinging a hatchet.

Badger is an expert on a bandsaw.  I watched him cut out some bows at the Classic.  They are nearly tillered when he is done. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »
I should add (and Bubby can confirm this, having assisted me 😳), I am something of a klutz when it comes to working with my hands*), and I am aware that the bandsaw requires more prep, TLC and adjustment than most power tools.  I find this worrisome.  I would even add some
To the purchase price to get a unit that requires less tinkering.

*  I am like the guy about whom Brother Dave Gardner said: "you get away from that wheelbarrow--you know you don't know nothin' about machinery!"

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »
Outlaw: Grizzly has several of their 14 inch saws that seem very similar: regular, "Anniversary", and "Poar Bear" lines.  Did you see any difference in those lines--other than cosmetics?

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:49:06 pm »
Never mind that last--it appears the differences are cosmetic.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »
  Outlaw, I have also screwed up more staves than I care to admit to. Commancher, if you have a neighbor or friend who knows bandsaws have them come over and teach you hot to set it up. Not a lot to learn but very important you learn it. If you don't know anyone maybe you could get one of us on the phone and help walk you through a set up.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
Mine is a 14" 1hp bandsaw from JET.  I love it but only because I can switch blades and cut metal, bone, and wood on the same tool.  I also use it to cut rawhide into strips.  I don't use it much on staves unless I want to remove a lot of wood but I will not cut anything thicker than 4" even thought he saw can handle 6".

I didn't have a bandsaw for the first several years of building bows and I realized how much time I lost by not having one.  If you need to make a lot of bows, you will definitely need one.  If you are only making one or two a year, you probably don't need one.

Tuning a bandsaw is a pain until you've got your system down.  It took me a year to get used to tuning mine the way I needed.  I sometimes cut really dense material:  copper rods, steel rods and nails, bone, ipe, osage, hickory, plastic rods, etc. and then I'll switch to really lightweight material like rawhide and feathers all in the same day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:19:24 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 06:13:25 pm »
There's always a new generation that has to learn.

Don't buy a new saw and don't buy one that is made or has parts made in the Pacific Rim.

Go here and learn all about classic saws that will last for several lifetimes and cost far less than a new one.

http://www.owwm.org/Old Woodworking Machines

I have an OLD Delta that will run circles around a Grizzly, Jet, Rigid or other pot metal/plastic contaminated machine. I also have an OLD Craftsman and an OLD Beaver that are in their second half centuries and going strong.

Watch craigslist and be patient. The photo is of my 1937ish Delta.

Jim Davis

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:20:10 pm by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »
Badger: I appreciate your offer and if I do buy one, I almost guarantee you find me on the phone whining!😊

Patrick: Now that you mention it, it would be nice to be able to cut metal.  I hear of "metal cutting bandsaws" as opposed to "woodworking" bandsaws.  As a practical matter, is the ability to cut metal just a function of blade and power--or are there other factors that distinguish the two?

Jim: I understand what you are saying and could not agree more that things are no longer made with the same quality as in yesteryear. You are obviously a person with a lot of power tool experience.  For myself, lacking your level of expertise in dealing with the older items, I am hesitant due to my perception (right or wrong) that (1) parts might be non-standard or unavailable, (2) my lack of maintenance skills, and (3) the fact that I live in a small town, deep in the bowels of South Texas, 200 miles from really major cities.  Still, since I am in no rush, I intend to take what you say seriously.  My thanks.

Russ

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »
Jim: I understand what you are saying and could not agree more that things are no longer made with the same quality as in yesteryear. You are obviously a person with a lot of power tool experience.  For myself, lacking your level of expertise in dealing with the older items, I am hesitant due to my perception (right or wrong) that (1) parts might be non-standard or unavailable, (2) my lack of maintenance skills, and (3) the fact that I live in a small town, deep in the bowels of South Texas, 200 miles from really major cities.  Still, since I am in no rush, I intend to take what you say seriously.  My thanks.

Russ

Russ, the biggest of your 3 above concerns is the last one. We just can't change our gepgraphy. :(

Parts are no problem. People part out old woodworking machines all the time  and sell the parts on eBay an the OWWM.org members buy, sell and trade  parts and machines all  the time.

As far as your lack of maintenance skills, guess what--nobody was born with those skills and the OWWM bunch are eager to advise and enable beginners.

The geography is not your friend, though OWWM forum members ship and otherwise transport  machines to each other .

At least check out the website. It's inspiring, encouraging and enlightening.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »
  Thats a good web site Jim, I never have any problems finding common parts for old machines. Somethings like switches and motors can be pretty generic.