Author Topic: Hickory board bow, ELB style, 73.5 ntn, 75 lbs @ 31", with pics  (Read 4189 times)

Offline fiddler49

Hickory board bow, ELB style, 73.5 ntn, 75 lbs @ 31", with pics
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:27 am »
I haven't made a skinny ELB like bow out of hickory because I thought it wouldn't be dense enough but I just gave it a try with great success. Here in Alaska hickory boards from a hard wood specialty company is my best option for wood. I found a riff cut hickory board 12 ft long x 4 inches wide by 7/8" thick, cost 14 bucks. I cut out a 74 1/2" piece out of the middle of the board then ripped a 2 inch blank from it. The blank warped to the side as soon as it was cut so I tapered the opposite side to match. The handle center became 1.5 " wide and the tips were 1/2" wide. I took my Dewalt hand power planer and tapered the belly and started the floor tillering. As it started to bend I thinned down the width eventually to 1 inch. Then rounded the corners with the planer. I had the planer blade set to less than 1/64". As I thinned the bow width down the board kept warping to one side
and ended up straight on one side. Oh well, I put on a tillering string and adjusted tiller, shortened string, over and over till my brace height was 6.5 inches. Then shot a half dozen arrows in my friend Bill's garage with the bow. 2 1/2 hours so far. We didn't pull it past about twenty inches. I brought it home and sanded the corners found a small splinter on the back of the upper limb about 10 inches from the tip. Wrapped it with mason's line and a similar wrap on the lower limb. Coated the wraps with thick super glue. Also did a cord wrap around the handle area about 7 inches long. I just made side nocks, no over lays, the bow tips are now about 3/8" wide. Made a fast flite string with one loop and one bowyer's hitch.I heat treated the belly for an hour with my heat gun. Shot it about 50 times last sunday and decided to thicken up the handle with epoxy putty on the belly side with a custom 4 inch long grip! Painted the bow green and the handle black. It seemed a bit strange to see the bow string that far off to the side but I guess it's now center shot with no arrow paradox at all. The stats are 73.5 ntn, 75 lbs @ 31", one inch string follow. One inch wide handle tapering to 3/8", 7/8 inch thick at the handle with another 1 1/4" thick bit of epoxy putty on the belly.
It shoots very fast and sweet for such a skinny straight bow. Pics are coming. cheers fiddler49
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:30:25 am by fiddler49 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hickory board bow, ELB style, 73.5 ntn, 75 lbs @ 31"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:13:17 pm »
That's a good illustration of why you want to start wide and only finalise the tip width/position once it's back about 20"
All wood can shift on you...
Heat tempering the belly with it clamped up in line (or slightly beyond) can sometimes help stabilise it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:39:19 am »
Most of the kiln dried boards I have used stay pretty straight after cutting but I have had a few that move around wildly after sawn. This was one of those. I started out at 2 inches wide and kept removing wood but it kept bending. Even with the bow string off set to the edge of one inch handle it shoots fine. cheers fiddler49

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:06:15 pm »
Here's a few pics from today of the hickory ELB. It's kind of tribal looking.The fur around the handle is caribou.
cheers fiiddler49

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:09:56 pm »
A few more pics cheers fiddler49

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:15:58 pm »
Nice looking bow , great shot....But that weather looks cooooooold.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Hickory board bow, ELB style, 73.5 ntn, 75 lbs @ 31", with pics
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 07:57:53 pm »
NIce tiller Fiddler. Looks great to me. Interesting story as well. I like how you took one shot and stopped while you were ahead...lol.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 12:50:51 am »
Nice shot!  I like the paint work, where did it take the set? 

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 02:34:38 am »
Thanks lads, Coo's, Before I built up the handle there was only a half inch string follow so I guess the extra half inch is just outside the handle. The bow has a few hundred shots now. Still about an inch of string follow. The built up handle has helped a lot. Very comfy to shoot even with the bow string not centered on the handle. It runs right along the edge of handle.  cheers fiddler49

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 10:06:23 am »
Nice bend in that bow - like the caribou on the handles too!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch