Author Topic: Primive Weekend  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Primive Weekend
« on: December 15, 2014, 01:46:36 pm »
Tower and i got to do some deer hunting this weekend again in the Texas Hill Country.  It was a primitive archery weekend.  We hunted, built bows, flint knapped and dug for artifacts.   The weekend started off with a trip to a cave that is on the property.  I had already found a small arrowhead earlier this month(after hrs. of digging) , but it took Tower literally 10 min to find a very nice Edwards.  That guy has a connection with the people of the past.  He told me that he was going to find one there.  I kinda halfway believed him.  Anyway we searched around and found some bifaces, half finished points, and a bone awl.   After the trip to the cave we went and worked on bows for a couple hrs.  He was able to finish his first selfbow, and man is that thing nice.  He did a dang fine job on that one.  Be on the lookout for his post in the bows section. After that it was a evening full of Edwards in honor of the cave findings.  The next morning we hunted.  Tower shot a squirrel but his arrow bounced off. :o I guess his points arn't all that shrap after all. >:D No but really, the squirrel was like a yard away.  So he only pulled the string 1-2 inches.  But he still drilled it in the chest.  The squirrel hit the ground, and rolled around for a while, then hobbled away.  No but really his points will cut you if you look at them wrong.  After that we spent the morning picking up flint from an ancient quarry that has been used for hundreds of years.  It was fun needless to say.   Here are some pics.  The dirty white Edwards is the point he found.  In the pic with 9 pts his are on the left and mine on right.

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Primive Weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »
These are his points 8)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 02:20:24 pm »
Sounds like a great time.  Tower built a bow?!  Can't wait to see that.
Beautiful points and thanks for posting.
1’—>1’

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 02:25:59 pm »
Thanks for posting, always wondered what a Tower bow looks like. Sounds like you gents had some fun anyway! Glad you found time to just get away.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »
Wow!  My kind of weekend.  I'm jealous!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:04:58 pm »
Geez, Looks like a great time. I was just talking with Alan planning a knapping weekend after this crazy holiday. Nice points a s always men.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:08:54 pm »
Sound like a good weekend.

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 07:37:55 pm »
That squirrels reaction to my arrow hitting him was one of the funniest things I've ever saw.   Maybe I should have pulled back a few inches more.   I'll lay a weeks wages down he never hangs around to investigate another bush with blinking eyes.   As for the bow, I sealed it with a few coats of tru-oil. I'll wrap the handle & put fur one the string before I post it.    I had a very patient teacher. Every  time he turned around I tried to use my knapping tools. 😊
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline neuse

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:13:26 am »
What Jackycraft said.
I'm jealous, yall are having to much fun.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:05:16 am »
Sounds like a million dollar weekend!

Offline Thunder

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »
That's my kind of weekend!  8)
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 08:53:25 pm »
Sounds like a fine time!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:24:44 pm »
^ what he said!