Author Topic: artificial sinew  (Read 3988 times)

Offline sailordad

artificial sinew
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:36:42 pm »
    I was just curious if artificial sinew works as a backing,if so is it nearly as good as true sinew?
If any has ever tried this or knows I would appreciate your input.
I only ask because I don't have access to real sinew,and was thinking of using artificial for a backing on a bow for my son for this up coming spring turkey hunt.
Seeing how this will be our last chance to hunt together before he ships out for Navy boot camp,and I had promised to make him a bow. I want to make a shorter bow for him to use out of a double bull blind.

So I will thank all of you nice knowledgeable people in advance for your input. :)

PEACE,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

Re: artificial sinew
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:47:36 pm »
Nope ain't gonna work, sinew shrinks as it dries, artifical sinew is nylon, just use linen or silk for a backing.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »
NO,  it is waxed string.  Glue and wax aren't exactly the best friends. You can trade for some real sinew or order some from one of the advertisers.  If neither of those is an option there are lots of other backing options. You can use silk, but you wont get the performance benefit of sinew.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 01:06:56 pm »
    Thanks guys,
I knew people here at PA would,once again, have all the right answers.I'll check out some of the distributors.

PEACE,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd