Author Topic: Paint for bow decorations  (Read 2219 times)

Offline dane lund

Paint for bow decorations
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:23:00 am »
I'm trying to add some Native American-ish decorations on the back of a bow for my wife. Bought some artists oils, thinking it should work great........ Not so much. This is the third day after the first coat, and it's still not dry to the touch.
At this rate, it won't be ready for her birthday NEXT YEAR!!
What SHOULD I have used???

What  is the right paint??
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Online tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Paint for bow decorations
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »
Artist oils are for sure not the way to go, well they could work, but not the best option. Artist acrylics will work, really almost any paint will work. Acrylics are good, just put a clear coat over it, minwax water based will go over paint.

You may be able to remove the oils. Slight scraping, and maybe some solvent to wipe off the stuff thats still wet. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »
I agree with Dave; acrylics or even water colors.  Curtis

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 02:33:44 pm »
I am not so far along as Dane but had been thinking oils as well.  Maybe Latex?  Once a water based clear coat dries, will a good rain soaking cause it to run!
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 02:57:30 pm »
yes oil will work, you can mix it with a drying medium and it will dry much quicker,, you can remove what you have and repaint with medium mixed in the oil..
yes acrylic dries quicker,, and can look great, but the colors are not as deep or rich or varied as oil,,, acrylic is plastic,, oil is oil mixed with pigment(a little more natural) and can give some very earthy tones,,,that being said I have used both,,with nice results,,, just dont count the oil out,, sometimes the little longer dry time is worth it with the final results it will yield :)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 04:11:34 pm »
I've been having fun with natural paints recently. It's just earth pigments and hide glue. I didn't make the pigments or glue (got it online) but it's pretty cool and surprisingly vibrant colours and easy to use

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:15:58 pm »
Craft paint works but i'm gonna make the move to pigment paint and hide glue
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline dane lund

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »
Thanks gang,

I got it figured out today.
I used a little lacquer thinner on a paper towel to remove the still soft artists oil, and degrease the wood sealer. Worked great.
 I bought an assortment of 10 small tubes of acrylics paints for $10. Actually, the cashier gave me a 50% off coupon! and it only cost me $5.00. They look great and dry in minutes.
WAAAAAAYYYYY easier. Not sure what I'll do with the giant tubes of oil paint I have left, but I'm definitely going to use the acrylics from now on.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »
You can use oil paint on leather or rawhide.  I would add Japan dryer in any case.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »
great to hear,, best of luck on your project,, :)