Main Discussion Area > Horn Bows

antler

<< < (2/2)

bigfish:

--- Quote from: jackcrafty on December 12, 2014, 06:49:28 pm ---Yes.  I think "IndianGuy" has made at least one.  (Eric Smith)

--- End quote ---

Any idea on the length

JackCrafty:
Here is a quote from InianGuy on one of his elk horn bows (includes length):

Here is a elk horn and sinew only bow I made last year, it is 36" and has a draw length of 20", being drawn 18" in this picture. 6 layers of sinew backing, bow did not turn out exactly how I had planned but this was a first from me with elk horn and very very difficult to straighten out the twists and turns, however in the end I had a shootable bow that is very functional.
I believe the main mistake with this bow was not pushing the handle back toward the belly, it would have helped the bow tremendously. But overall i was pleased with the results.
maybe a little more bend through the mid limbs too.

Eric

The link to the thread is here but I can't see the pictures.

https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24691.0.html

Bryce:
Good topic. I've been saving some elk spikes and maybe I'll dig into them as a follow along.
Soak, shape, splice, peer-tiller, back with sinew. Complete tiller.
 Get advice along the way:)

IndianGuy:
Bryce those are much better pieces then I started with on my first antler bow. Please keep us posted. You will learn alot along the way as I did.
E

Bryce:

--- Quote from: IndianGuy on December 17, 2014, 05:51:59 pm ---Bryce those are much better pieces then I started with on my first antler bow. Please keep us posted. You will learn alot along the way as I did.
E

--- End quote ---

There not as perfect as they look:) but I'm gonna take my research and experience on a good ride with this project. I'll start a new thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version