Author Topic: D bow design  (Read 3188 times)

Offline BBowBuilder

D bow design
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:59:31 am »
Hi everyone, been awhile since i posted anything here, but i need some helpful input on a D bow design. Ive got some vine maple staves and one in particular that is ready to go. As far as design, i wanna do a true D bow design, full width through the handle; So what thickness would be a good place to start? Probably thinking no less than 1.5 inches wide and 65 inches. Any input on better designs would be awesome, still learning the ropes so anything helps! Thanks

Grant

Offline Aaron H

Re: D bow design
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:51 am »
I have personally never worked with vine maple, but just make sure you give yourself plenty of thickness to tiller it correctly and then slowly work your way down toward your intended draw weight.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:58:23 am »
Vine Maple is pretty awesome stuff.  My opinion would be that 1.5 inches wide for 65 inches is entirely too wide.  Overbuilt.

What is your intended draw length?
1’—>1’

Offline BBowBuilder

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:12 am »
I would like to work it out to 28 inches, and 55+- draw weight. Thanks all

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:30 am »
I'd probably go around 1 1/4 wide all the way to 10 inches from the tips.
This would leave a little room to narrow once tillering shows how much set it's taking.
Elliptical tiller.
Leave the handle just stiff (thickness) until the last 5 inches of draw or so and then start to finesse the bend into it. Whatever you do don't make it bend too much in the handle.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:21:53 am »
Sounds right to me, Mike.

Good luck, look forward to seeing what you come up with.
1’—>1’

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »
i think the 1.5 is ok for a white wood,, if you need to narrow you have the option as you tiller..sometimes there is an unseen flaw and I am glad I left the bow a bit wide to work around it,, :)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:30:22 pm »
Mike had some great advise.  I think it would be the best way to represent a true D bow.  Remember about the handle.  That area was my crux for a while till people here set me strait.  Don't get it bending too much.