Author Topic: String follow  (Read 3295 times)

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
String follow
« on: December 13, 2014, 12:02:54 pm »
I have a bow I made at Tennessee Classic it has about two inches of string follow is that too much ? It is Osage and was 64 @ 25 when we weighted it . The bow shoots good ! We didn't put any refleX in it is the reason it is like this . Will know next time live and learn ! Thanks ahead of time for your input .

Offline PatM

Re: String follow
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:08 pm »
What are you supposing might happen if it is deemed "too much"?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:23:17 pm »
Set isn't the evil some would have us believe, as long as it's evenly spread along the limb it just shows the bow is working to it's max (or a whisker above it) If it's all at one point in the limb it is due to poor tiller.
Some of my sweetest bows have some set.
Even these bows with 1" of reflex probably started out with 3" reflex... so that's actually 2" of set.
I normally put the bow up a gainst a straight wall and see how many fingers I can get between wall and grip.
1 finger, great 2 fine, 3 it's getting a bit tired.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »
  Too much for my taste but it might be fine for you if you feel like how it shoots good. Not too late to heat treat but you will have to do some retillering. Your opinion is the only one that really matters. Tons of self bows have 2" of set and are successful at both hunting and target. 2" might be considered pretty normal for a straight non heat treated stave.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »
just up to you,(you might shoot through chrono before making a decision), I have a bow that has about 2 inches of follow,, but it shoots well and has nice cast even tested on the chrono...I have had the bow for 20 years and dont plan on changing it,, when I make a new bow,, I like the follow to be as little as possible,,, Like Badger said you could heat treat but your bow is pretty normal for straight unheated stave,, that being said,, you could always work on it any time, no rush,, just shoot it like it is and if some time in the future you want to tune it up a bit, you can :)   I have reworked many bows in my time as a bow maker,(even cutting them in half and putting set back to reduce follow), sometime with great results and sometimes not,,but always feel like I learn something

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 04:54:05 pm »
+!
I reworked my first ever yew ELB a mere 40 years after building it :o... it shoots a quicker now :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 06:44:59 pm »
just up to you,(you might shoot through chrono before making a decision), I have a bow that has about 2 inches of follow,, but it shoots well and has nice cast even tested on the chrono...I have had the bow for 20 years and dont plan on changing it,, when I make a new bow,, I like the follow to be as little as possible,,, Like Badger said you could heat treat but your bow is pretty normal for straight unheated stave,, that being said,, you could always work on it any time, no rush,, just shoot it like it is and if some time in the future you want to tune it up a bit, you can :)   I have reworked many bows in my time as a bow maker,(even cutting them in half and putting set back to reduce follow), sometime with great results and sometimes not,,but always feel like I learn something

There is always a learning curve in what we do.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Hopefully I learn from my mistakes....  ::)
My last couple bows took more than enough set but they shoot well and having said that there is nothing wrong with a bow been slightly over stressed.  I would rather have a bow thats been stressed than one that is not.  Of course there is a limit of like 3" of set is pushing it.  ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:45:38 pm »
Quite acceptable. Enjoy your bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 10:09:00 pm »
If the bow starts off flat and ends with 2 inchs that's not bad it's pretty common
I like osage

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 06:38:15 am »
 On a bow that starts straight, I really like to get 1", but I get 2" all the time, and I don't consider it bad. 3" starts to look pretty bad to my eye, and feels like the string isn't humming at brace height.