Author Topic: Sinew Backing Question  (Read 1646 times)

Offline xpertbushman

Sinew Backing Question
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »
How much pounds does a layer of sinew backing add to a bow?
This apprentice has much to learn.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
Re: Sinew Backing Question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:02:06 pm »
Usually it just adds a couple ounces, once the sinew is dry.
 ;)
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:47:37 pm »
Too many variable to give a black and white answer. The width and length of the bow plays a part. The way you lay the sinew plays a part. The amount of sinew you call a layer plays a role. The amount of induced reflex plays a role. Most bows have 2-4 layers on them and on AVERAGE it may add 10-20#. Study up on all the Build Alongs and you will better understand sinew and how it works.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 02:38:47 pm »
Do you mean pounds of draw weight or do you mean the actual weight of the sinew itself? Either way, Pearl Drums nailed it. There are too many variables to give a precise answer. Depends on how much surface area is covered, how thick the sinew layer, how much reflex is induced, whether the bow is heat treated first, etc.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »
I'm going to assume you are a beginner based on your other post.  I would suggest building a few more bows and work on improving your tillering skills before you get into sinew backing.  To get the most benefit out of sinew you need to design the bow for it from the very beginning.  Trying to gain a few pounds on a bow that didn't turn out how you wanted is not the best way to use sinew in my opinion. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:20:23 pm »
what Pearl drums said