Author Topic: help with tackling this knot.  (Read 2322 times)

Offline thomas74p

help with tackling this knot.
« on: December 11, 2014, 10:27:47 am »
I was hoping to make this bow 60" long. I'd be willing to drop to 56 or even go up to 64 or anywhere in between. but 60 is my goal. that being said the end of the knot is 3.5" from the tip , if I were to cut it at 60", so the knot should be just before I begin to bend it into recurve. I've seen some bows on here with holes in the middle of them, from knots, and I was thinking I should just leave it wider there and keep it centered. what's the best method for me here.

Offline thomas74p

Re: help with tackling this knot.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:41:36 am »
just got done reading
Knot in short Osage bendy handle advice needed. thread
good knowledge there. sounds like thats my route. I'll take any other advice availlable.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:53 am »
You really need about eight inches past the knot, I built one like this last year and it came out nice.,, but you need at least eight inches past to make the bend
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:38:49 am »
You really need about eight inches past the knot, I built one like this last year and it came out nice.,, but you need at least eight inches past to make the bend
thanks, that may have saved me this time. I left plenty to work with and can put the handle anywhere really. so thats deffinetly do-able.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »

I think this depends on length and degree of curve in the recurve, but you definitely don't want the bend starting close to the knot at all.  That is asking for trouble with the stiffness around the knot, and the squirrely grain you will find there.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:24:23 pm »
I think better to leave it longer on this one, the stave is kinda dictating the design,, make the shorter 60 inch bow on a piece that doesnt have an issue close to your recurve,,

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 03:43:12 pm »
looks like I'm gonna make it longer than planed and reposistion that knot on the limb. thank you guys once again for helping me. I sure am glad I ask FIRST this time.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »
The stave dictates the design! Like Brad said. Leave it long and tiller the knot to appear slightly stiff so it is not bending quite as much as the rest of the limb.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline occupant

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 07:11:40 pm »
you don't really want the ends bending much anyway, so leave it

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹