Author Topic: Vertical gluing?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline DavidV

Vertical gluing?
« on: November 30, 2014, 05:46:08 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. I have a wide board that doesn't quite have the depth I want. Could I rip it down the middle and glue each half together vertically, so that the glue line ran down the middle of the bow? Would it be less affected by grain runouts? Actionwood and bamboo flooring are glued up like that but I only see those in cores or bellies, not selfbows. Also, what kind of glue should I use, Titebond or Smooth-On?
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Vertical gluing?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »
I've made flat grain tip overlays and never had one delaminate but I don't doubt it could, just never thought about it.

Never mind!  :-[  My bad.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:28:49 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »
Wrong thread?
Springfield, MO

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:09:27 pm »
Never tried it but I think if it failed you should have some ppe on.(personal protective equipment).i would lean towards a lap glue up rather than a butt joint.good luck
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:50:35 pm »
I know ya can if ya back it, and it might work not backed , like mentioned ya might wear some safety gear
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 09:44:52 pm »
I ran up on this thread awhile back is this what your wanting to do? I seen this and remembered it becuase I haven't seen it much.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23525.0.html

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »
Actually me and Clint were talking about this the other day with no backer, I told him I'd give it a try but we were talking about a pc of contrasting wood between some maple or some white wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DavidV

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 11:47:17 pm »
Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Don't have a source for thick lumber for ELBs so a 1x3 of maple ripped and glued will give me better dimensions. Never considered putting a middle lam in there but it makes sense. You get the benefit of compression wood without the weight... I'll go ahead and try it without a backing just to see.
Springfield, MO

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 02:28:22 am »

Offline GB

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:06:11 am »
Pretty ingenious use of narrow slats for those bows.  Got me to thinking of the 1/2" wide pieces I have left over from a couple of osage boards.  I have to decide between hickory and hard maple for the center lam.  I'd back it with hickory.  Thanks for posting them!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.