Author Topic: New tool for sapwood removal  (Read 8552 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: New tool for sapwood removal
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:03 am »
Never used one of those seen em plenty but they look scary as hell.  I might have to try it out someday.

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 03:24:12 am »
 >:D
Those things are evil. Be super careful. I have a mate who does a lot of carving of big pieces. He uses one of these things for rough out and it has kicked back on him before.
Rotary tools are similar but a bit safer! I use them on risers.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:18 am »
Hey Paul, should I send him my chaimail suit to wear? :D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:51 am »
I have wondered how those work. Might have to pony up and get one. I'm on the downhill side to 40 too, I have less than 4 years left.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:56 am »
I bought a similar tool 25 years ago when I was osage cutting crazy, still have it but don't use it anymore. I would clamp a piece of wood on my shave horse, sit in a lawn chair with my elbows supported on my knees for control and hog off sapwood.

The reason I quit using it was; I could get the sapwood off pretty quickly, probably 15 minutes a stave but it would take me 30 minutes or more to clean up all the grinder cuts on the back of a stave so I was back to square one.

I bandsaw or split the bark and sapwood off now. Bottom line, there are no really good shortcuts for this process.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 10:04:56 am »
Im not sure time as much as imminent pain is important to Clint.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:59 am »
Exactly Pearly.  Bad shoulders run in the family.  My mom, gandpa, and uncle have all had shoulder replacement surgery.  My grandpa died from blood clots after his operation.  If I can find a way to avoid future problems I'm all for it.

Eric, When I remove the sapwood with a draw knife I rough it off and don't pay much attention to staying with a clean ring on back.  I seal it up and store it away. When I'm ready to make a bow I have to go down a ring or two anyway.  I don't see much difference in using the grinder.  I look at it as only having to use a draw knife on a stave one time instead of two.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 04:03:19 pm »
I understand, I am setting up the surgery date on my right shoulder tomorrow, a couple rotator cuff tears and a spur poking down in my tendon. In my case it is work/gym injuries and old age.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 07:07:50 pm »
I am only allowed to use a hatchet,,  :(

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »
I'm going to try to get me one of those log debarkers that mounts on your chainsaw bar.

By the way I'm on the down hill slide to 40 myself. You guy's are sure making it hard for me to want to get out of bed this Thursday morning! I'll be 36, and I've really felt the getting older stuff this year for sure. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 04:25:04 am »
I have been using something similar for years, an arbortech attachment for an angle grinder. I have chased rings staying at least one ring away from the intended ring. I mainly use it for carving bowls, and dishing out seats for chairs. One of the more dangerous tools for sure and demands plenty of respect.
If your not already doing so use plenty of protection like a good face mask for dust, a face shield for eyes and muffs for your ears. Green wood isn't too bad, but the dry stuff can really mess up your lungs, sinuses.
Arbortech has an adjustable polycarbonate shroud that encloses the blade, so only the minimal exposed area of the blade shows, makes the process a bit safer.

Hamish.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 09:12:05 am »
The tool I mentioned is an Arbortech.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 09:44:41 am »
I'd have totally broke that new blade in on that frickin spider!!!!!  :o yuckkkkk!

Enjoy the new toy and be careful

Yeah on the 40 part, I feel for ya- I'm counting the days and almost to single digits, I'm not ready for it!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:45 am »
Clint thats the same one I have , I use it to debark and remove sapwood but I dont do very well following rings with it
on some staves I can switch the grinder to 36 grit sandpaper and do I decent job except around character areas
Norton makes sanding discs with holes in them so you can kinda see where you are at as you go
I also had a special adz made up for chasing rings  so I can swing with the wrist rather than pull with the shoulder it works good as a scraper also around knots and such

Take care of yourself  hope to see ya soon !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !