Author Topic: New tool for sapwood removal  (Read 8553 times)

Offline osage outlaw

New tool for sapwood removal
« on: December 08, 2014, 09:32:13 pm »
I've been noticing a few new aches and pains when working on bow stuff recently.  In a couple of days I'll be on the downhill slope to 40  ;D  I thought it was time I found an easier way to remove the sapwood off of osage staves.  I tried using my band saw but I usually get the blade in a bind and ruin it.  On some staves I am able to split off the sapwood and a couple of rings, but most of the time I use a draw knife to clean them up.  I did some research and decided to try out a chainsaw disc for an angle grinder.  Its a Lancelot 14 tooth blade.  I ordered it from the big auction site for less than $40 delivered.  It arrived today and I tested it out.  It took just a few seconds to put it on my angle grinder.  You can resharpen it just like a normal chainsaw blade.

It worked great.  It ate through the sapwood with ease.  I timed myself on a 27" long section of the stave.  It was 3"-3.5" wide.  I removed the sapwood and enough heartwood to get the worm tunnels out in 3.5 minutes.  I'm pretty sure I could clean up an average stave in under 10 minutes.  And I won't be feeling it in my shoulders or elbows tomorrow  ;)   I looked the stave over and I think I stayed within one thick ring.  I'll seal it up and wait to chase a ring on it when I'm ready to make a bow.

I'll be using this outside from now on.  It sure throws the shavings everywhere!

When I was looking around at the mess I had made I noticed this gal hanging onto the garage door above my head.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: New tool for sapwood removal
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:34:50 pm »
that should save you some work
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:43:07 pm »
I think it will Bubby.  Thanks for the late night shopping help  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:13:57 pm »
I know a guy at Tennessee Valley Manufacturing that roughs out flintlock rifle stocks outa $300+ curly maple blanks with one of them angry beavers! 

With a little practice, you might come close to chasing a ring with one of them, Clint! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:23 pm »
Nice!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:52 pm »
Poor Baby!  Getting close to forty!  I remember how that felt a little over thirty years ago.😝

So no sympathy on that score, but I do thank you for sharing that discovery.  I have an angle grinder and will pick one of those up when I get some of the yaller wood in house.  I will be more circumspect in how deep I go with it--due to my experience level--but it should be a real help.  I am having enough fun right now, removing 1/8 inch of belly from an oak board bow to not realize what shaving off more than an inch from a stave must be like--being as I am on the downhill slope to seventy. 😊

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:24:08 pm »
Pretty cool!  But be careful, I use angle grinders all the time at work and it's only a matter of time before it will skip/catch on you. Wire wheels and abrasive cut off wheels will mess you up. Can only imagine how much damage that would do. No such thing as a minor chain saw accident

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:31:10 pm »
On second thought, what Paul says rings true.  I would imagine it takes some significant forearm control on that puppy.  And all joking about age aside, I am not the man I used to be.

(Forget the fact that I was never the man I thought I was!)
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:34:45 pm »
Thanks for the warning Paul.  I was a little leery of if kicking back on me at first.  It never did though.  I made nice easy swipes pulling it back towards me and it cut very smooth.  I think it will be fine as long as I don't get stupid with it.  Probably like most tools, a little common sense goes a long way.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »
Have had one for years, quick, but scary! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:46:36 pm »
  Probably like most tools, a little common sense goes a long way.

Aaaaaand that is why I'm not allowed power tools.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 10:47:27 pm »
Your right clint. Leave the handle on and keep 2 hands on it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 10:52:10 pm »
The directions said to rotate the guard to a certain position.  They were very clear on this.  I figured it was for a good reason so I set it exactly as they suggested.  No way would I try to use it with only one hand. 

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 11:30:13 pm »
I've had one of those in the shop for years, only used it a few times. It kinda scares the crap out of me. On mine the chain is "loose" in between two plates so it's just a bit of friction that gets it going. I think that helps with kickback too. Can you move the chain when you've locked the spindle?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 11:40:53 pm »
It does move.  That is listed as a safety feature.