Author Topic: reflex, deflex osage with flipped tips  (Read 2223 times)

Offline tommyredfox

reflex, deflex osage with flipped tips
« on: December 08, 2014, 09:12:51 pm »
I am a new poster to this board.  I have some questions that I hope to get some help with.  I have started a new reflex, deflex osage bow and need some help on determining the dimensions needed for a 40# @ 26 inch draw. Is 1-1/4" mid limb then tapered to 3/8" adequate to achieve the draw weight.  This is my 7th osage bow-they have all been long bows. If you could help me out with the recommended length, I would be most appreciative.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: reflex, deflex osage with flipped tips
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:02:01 am »
That should do it, say 60--62 in. length  N-N I would have probably went a little wider to start but that will most likely make it, don't take a lot of Osage to make a bow, ;) be careful when floor tillering and getting to first brace, it will have a lot of early draw weight and can fool you into thinking it is way heavy pretty easily.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:22:02 am »
+1 Pappy.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:59:30 pm »
I agree with Pappy, but it could go longer if your stave is longer,,,and still shoot well,, might be a tad overbuilt ,,but I like that

Offline tommyredfox

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:44:14 pm »
thanks for the reply. i can go longer out to 66" if needed. i had to go down 5 rings to get a good one. i am now at 1-1/8" width. it will have working tips. am i in the ball park.

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 11:46:35 pm »
I would keep the last 6 inches of tips at least 1/2 inch thick and stiff. And see whether I really want or need to make them working, after I tiller the limbs to my draw weight and length. It is said in TBB that people tend to make the outer 1/3 of limbs working a little too much, and I agree. It's rather difficult to fix this mistake. Go slow there, please.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »
i would go for longer bow,, if you miss the weight,, you have room to cut down to Pappy length,,, and still have a nice safe  smooth draw,,