Author Topic: Bow Demensions  (Read 7832 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Bow Demensions
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:24 am »
Here is a link to badger mass calculator spreadsheet that he posted some time ago.
Badger is this still accurate??

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1218.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:36:50 am »
Dana, thanks for posting that, that is still current. The trick to using it is to know how to input different figures for draw length and stiff handle section based on your design and tiller. Very stiff outer limbs will equate to using a slightly longer figure for draw length, as will elyptical tillers need to use a longer figure for stiff handle section. As a rule of thumb if you feed in an 8' stiff handle and fade this would best be applied to a pyramid design, where paralell limbs are usually tillered more elypticaly so you might use a figure of 12" even though the stiff handle and fades are actually only 8". Most of my bows I use a 10" figure for stiff handle and fades and a 30" figure for draw length to account for my stiff outer limbs. Steve
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:38:36 am by Badger »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 10:25:48 am »
Thanks Steve, I just added that statement to the bottom of the spreadsheet when I saved it to my computer.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »
Thanks for the link. I will try and wrap my mind around it. Looks like if I'm gonna use it I will need a grain scale, which I thought about getting anyway for weighing arrows and such. Does anyone have any ideas on what , where to find and how much. I prefer to use non electric devises if possible in the event that we find ourselves without power and the need to use the devise.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 12:30:12 pm »
Danny Badgers formula is in ounces.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 12:36:09 pm »
Thanks Dana, I realized that after I sent it. An ounce/lb scale is prob what I will get and then when I need to convert into grains I can just do the math.

Let em see if I have the purpose of this down correctly in my little pea brain....The value in this calculator is so we can fashion our bows to have the correct mass in relation to our desired length/drawlength/weight, thereby making a bow that is of optimum effeciency provided of course that it is crafted correctly in terms of tiller. Is that right? The idea is to not under or over build our bows but to have a consistent guide as to what is the right amount of wood mass for that particular bow. Correct?

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 12:48:35 pm »
Danny, that pretty much the idea, if you make a lot of bows you will also find it can suggest you change a design now and then. The mass is primarily controlled by the width of the limbs and the tiller used so in this sense it should put you in a good ballpark for demensions. Steve