Author Topic: Maple takedown  (Read 1848 times)

Offline bow101

Maple takedown
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »
In the process of building a take-down, with maple limbs.  So what I have is 30 1/2" limbs I figure the riser pads will be 4".
The limbs have 4" of reflex glued in. So working limb 26 1/2" X 2 = 53" ...........If I use a 16" riser that would make a total length of 61"  Correct..? 
My big question;  should I make the riser longer for a smoother draw like say 64" --- 66" total length......?   
Probably better to have a longer riser as it puts less stress on the limbs...... ??? This will be my 3rd. take-down- 3 piece, learned a lot from the other 2..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowJunkie

Re: Maple takedown
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:57:33 pm »
So far your 61'' overall length adds up  ;D So far you will end up with an 8'' window between limbs, for handle and arrow.
The question here is, what is the intended draw weight and draw length?
If my math is right,
61'' minus 10% is roughly 55 inches left, divided by 2 is 27.5 - 28'' max draw length.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:55:56 pm »
 That formula is a new one on me.    ::)

Intended draw weight and draw length,  anywhere from 46# -- 52#   @27"    With all things been equal like riser pad angle a longer riser will allow more draw for a given weight.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
I agree, Going longer does not pose and issue. It would lessen the stress on the limbs.
I just wasn't sure if you were shooting for the shortest possible bow.
My bows are usually 50-55 lbs Draw weight @ 28''
I take the Draw length (28'') X's 2 = 56,
56 X's 10%= 5.6
56'' + 5.6'' = 61.6'' is the shortest I go just as a rule of thumb.
I am not a pro at making "shorties" so I don't try to stretch it by going shorter.
The best I have pulled off repeatedly is 8% which came out to 60'' Tip to tip, but these are also a slight bend in the handle.
For me I think a 5' bow is plenty short to maneuver in the woods while hunting.
Depending on the quality of the wood I may add 15% to length instead of 10%
So far the only bow I have broken was the first one I made. I chalked that up to learning to tiller and not rounding off edges.  ;D
I would give your thoughts a shot and see how it works out.
Worst case if you miss your target weight, at 64-66'' you would have a few inches to trim off and retiller.
I wish you luck.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:45:42 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I think I'm leaning towards the longer bow of 64".  I have yet to make one shorter than 64".   But like they say nothing ventured nothing gained.