Author Topic: Bottle Knapping Video  (Read 4420 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Bottle Knapping Video
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:25:33 am »
I made a video on how I knap glass bottle bottoms.  Really it's just kind of an overview.  I'm intending to make a more detailed one in the near future.  Let me know what y'all think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsPv0AzzgI&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Bottle Knapping Video
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:10:44 pm »
I don't know how long you have been at it, but you are better than me. A quick trick to stop bleeding is to run a flame from a bic lighter over the cut quickly a few times. It makes the blood congeal and stops it pretty quickly. I learned that when I did HVAC years ago.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
I don't know how long you have been at it, but you are better than me. A quick trick to stop bleeding is to run a flame from a bic lighter over the cut quickly a few times. It makes the blood congeal and stops it pretty quickly. I learned that when I did HVAC years ago.
  thanks!  Hahaha, I like the lighter trick!  I will totally try that next time.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline flungonin

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:55:25 am »
superglue

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:33:54 am »
Nice job, bro.   Guess it was a little tough to see the pressure flaking.  Like the head!

Sometime we need to plan a trip to a spring to do some freediving and knapping.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:37:06 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:23:25 am »
Super glue will close them up after they stop, but when you have a bleeder the lighters is a good first step.  :laugh:
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:37:42 am »
Cool video. Using the denim to knap on is a good suggestion if a person doesn't have leather. I couldn't help but notice when you were using the nail to pop the bottom off the bottle, you were holding the bottle bottom with your bare hand. As a suggestion, you could cover the bottom of the bottle with the denim. Having it between the bottle and your hand might save a you a cut or two.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:34:45 pm »
Cool video. Using the denim to knap on is a good suggestion if a person doesn't have leather. I couldn't help but notice when you were using the nail to pop the bottom off the bottle, you were holding the bottle bottom with your bare hand. As a suggestion, you could cover the bottom of the bottle with the denim. Having it between the bottle and your hand might save a you a cut or two.
  Yeah, denim is way easier to get than tanning leather. 

That's not when it cut me.  When you hold the bottom it breaks but does not move so you have total control over it when you hear that it is totally broken.  I really can't see getting cut by holding it like that.  It's when I set the bottle bottom on my lap and it started to slide off and I went to catch it is when it cut me.  I'm really not worried about the cuts though as it's all a part of the game.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:28 pm »
Mr Tim -
You are one funny guy! Nice video.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:04:39 pm »
Good video.  Hurray for green glass!  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:33:17 pm »
Tim when I do the nail trick to knock the bottom out I put the bottle in a plastic bag catches everything
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:57:39 pm »

Pretty good!  8) You have come far pilgrim.  ;) Also black pepper will stop the bleeding.  ;) Better point than I can make. :(

Wayne

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »
I went to drop off my recyclables and grabbed two big bottles.  I will try this.  If I get something worth showing I will post. 

Thanks for posting primitive Tim. 

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 04:16:29 pm »
Geeeeezzeee!  I dont need another hobby! but dang I like that video thanks tim JeffW