Author Topic: My First Bows, Should I Sinew Back Them?  (Read 4533 times)

Offline xpertbushman

My First Bows, Should I Sinew Back Them?
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:26:26 am »
I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and have attempted to make a self bow well over a dozen times. Well I finally made several that work without exploding in my face. I stand at 6'8" and my draw length is at 31 and half inches. My first bow that I made successfully is made from a piece of crooked juniper. It's 46" long and has my 31 and a half inch draw. My second bow, also made of juniper is 50" long and has my 31 and a half inch draw. Both bows were made from a single branch that i split in half with a knife and baton. Now my last bow is 56" long with my 31 and a half inch draw. That one I made from white cedar by splitting a branch in half with knife and baton. Then I split it again into a thin plank and got to work carving it out.

I don't know the poundage of any of them, I don't have a device to measure poundage, but i would like to have a short bow with 60-80 lbs of draw weight. I hunt with a compound bow set at 70lbs and the pull is easy. Do you think that sinew backing one of them could give me that poundage? Or better yet, are any of them good enough to sinew back?

The first picture is my first bow, then my second and then my third.

Any feedback and constructive criticism would be appreciated.
This apprentice has much to learn.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: My First Bows, Should I Sinew Back Them?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38:22 am »
Holy smokes those top 2 have some scary bends goin on.
I think your asking a little 2 much out of the wood.
sinew and juniper is a deadly combo, ive made 2.
to get 32 inch draw even with sinew back and recurved tips I wouldnt
go any less than 60".  Your string on the top photo looks like its about to come off, and when it does...hope your wearing shades and jock strap!
Bottom one is not as scary, dont know much about white cedar though, is it incense cedar?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »
Lots of stuff to chew on here. I don't think I could build a 46 inch bow pulling to 31 inches. You did so you got me there. Having said that, that is far to short a bow to pull to that length as a rule. Most woods will break outright or break down quickly at those specs. Again, you did it, so kudos on them. I think you would be better off with something closer to 68 inches or more in length. You will have greater success in completing them and they will last far longer.
I would say no to the sinew for now as my opinion. Learn how to tiller one to a "fare the well" first. That is the essence of this craft. You have some work to do in that area first. Once you have all the basics worked out, then consider building a sinew backed bow with all the time required. My opinion.
I shoot (used to shoot) 83lbs on my wheel bows. Thought I would be close to that on trad bows. Not even close. Most of mine are somewhere between 45 and 55 pounds. A few heavier but I am comfortable at somewhere near 50 to 60 lbs. 70 lbs for me is way to much bow.
Hope this info is helpful in some way. Congrats, and looking forward to seeing s'more from you.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »
Bushman,

I have nothing to contribute since I am far more of a novice than you are.  But I can tell you you have come to a great site.  I have joined forums on many subjects and never found a more willing, welcoming group of people--eager to be helpful.  So although a newcomer myself, I will say welcome!

I am curious to know what variety of juniper you used for the first two bows--would it by any chance be "Ashe Juniper" such as we have in the Texas Hill
Country--or that further out west?

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:54 pm »
You've got some good advice so far. Mine would be to put those bows down and don't draw them again. Your going to hurt yourself buddy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline xpertbushman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »
The Juniper I got from Central Oregon. Went to a place called glass butte to gather obsidian. Got several hundred pounds of obsidian for arrowheads. The cedar I got in the local state park of Mt. Spokane.

Based on the feedback so far, I think i'm going to head into the mountains and gather some rocky mountain juniper. Maybe even the old way of growth arresting staves and letting them cure in the tree itself.

Don't let the name throw you off, :) I'm very new to bowying. I have the books by Tom Brown Jr. A book by Laubin, and a primitive living book that I can't recall the name of. All very good books and If anybody wants to look at them I can get the titles when i get home.
This apprentice has much to learn.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
Id suggest skipping the cure process you mentioned. Find a suitable specimen and take the whole thing home to properly handle and store it for the best bow wood it can yield.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 02:41:23 pm »
Woof, I admire the effort you are are putting in, but, your bows are WAY overdrawn.
You want to aim for a bow that is double your draw length to start, so either shorten your draw length or build a longer bow!

Ease up off the gas and start more simply.  You have your entire life to take on aggressive projects.  Proficiency comes with patience.
Start with a much more conservative project to learn proper techniques in design and tiller.

You have a lot of obsidian that you can most likely trade with members for some bow wood!  I'd consider that.
Meet up with some people in your area that can show you some hands on stuff.  It never ceases to amaze the generosity of people in this hobby.

Start to think about harvesting some staves now so that in about a year they will be cured and ready for your efforts! 
Cut the staves, process them, and store in a dry place. 

Welcome to PA, enjoy the ride.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »
Hey, good for you for throwing yourself into it!  Hundreds of people think about trying their hand at it when only a handful ever do.  You have left the vast majority in your dust already!

Where are you located, in less than general terms.  You may have a brother-of-the-bow in your area that you can work alongside. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:46:15 am »
+1 what JW said although I would treat short bows as such and not over draw them Unless they're composite bows than you can draw 28 inches or higher. The Above info is a good place to start.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 01:20:35 pm »
Welcome, man o man that first bow. That's crazy. Good advise above. U could even make a few board bows to get an understanding of tillering and such. This is a great past time
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »
you could practice putting sinew on them
keep in mind that just because your draw is 31 inches does not mean the bow is made for that,,or will hold up to that draw,,
each bow is different and should be drawn as such

half the length would be a good rule of thumb to start with,,I suggest longer

a heavy bow requires a good piece of wood

start there,, if a self bow,, make it 70 inches for your draw and see how you do,,
designs are infinite,, but a good self bow will last for years at the proper dimensions,,, that is my suggestion for a starting point,,