Author Topic: Filling Imperfections  (Read 1953 times)

Offline DC

Filling Imperfections
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »
I've been filling little nicks and cracks with sawdust and CA. Works great but it turns darker than the sawdust and highlights the mark instead of hiding it. Any ideas other than lighter sawdust. I'm dealing with Ocean Spray and it's about as light as it gets. I even tried holly dust.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Filling Imperfections
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:11:35 pm »
You can use just super glue. Do it in a series of sessions if the cracks are big enough. Add a little and let it dry, add a little more and let it dry and so on til it fills the crack. Whatever you do it will still emphasize the imperfection.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »
you could mix some paint with the mixture to match the wood

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:07:46 pm »
You can use just super glue. Do it in a series of sessions if the cracks are big enough. Add a little and let it dry, add a little more and let it dry and so on til it fills the crack. Whatever you do it will still emphasize the imperfection.

That's exactly what I do. The cracks and knots look just like they did prior to filing, but you cant feel them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »
I embrace them.

Fill with crushed turquoise, or contrasting putty.

http://s235.photobucket.com/user/scottnlena/media/imagejpg3.jpg.html

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:53:17 pm »
Yes embrace the Wabi Sabi and accentuate the imperfections......Mesquite wood workers have done this for a long time....filling cracks and imperfections with black or colored epoxy
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:41 pm »
Some  just use clear epoxy.  What I do sometimes is save some fine wood dust from the saw or sander, label it and bag it for later use.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell