Author Topic: REALLY tiller on the edges?  (Read 17213 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: REALLY tiller on the edges?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2014, 02:35:49 pm »
Yes, dead straight taper... all limbs same length ... no fiddle factors.
Simple is good with experiments. Fewest possible number of variables.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2014, 03:12:34 pm »
Del, it would seem to me that the piece of plastic you triangled and bent will bend elliptically with the wider portions bending  very little. Yes?

If so then that is precisely want you do not want in a bow because the outer portions of the limb, if they bend more, will yield  more set.

Rather, the near handle, wider wood needs to bend more resulting in a more rounded circular tiller. Cuts down on set.

How you get there does not matter. Tiller edges, belly or a combination.

IMHO.

Jawge
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:21:45 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2014, 10:54:50 pm »
I encourage lots of youse guys to make a test piece like this, clamp the wide end and and push on the pointy end. Even for those of us who have been making bows for years, it will be an eye-opener bordering on a jaw-dropper for those who have not tried this.

Jim Davis (who only makes "pyramid bows" because of this bending behavior.)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 11:25:06 pm »
Remember it is a string gripped in the  center that bends the limb, not a force pushing straight down on the tip.

mikekeswick

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 02:18:48 am »
Push diagonally then!
Asharrow is dead right.
It's all logic as Badger said above.
The experiment should be between two actual bows. One a pyramid taper and one with no width taper until say 8 inches from the tips. Tiller them both to take the same overall amount of set and just look at them at full draw.
Badger I agree that the more working limb there is the more the bow 'buckles' when the string hits home. This is another reason why Turkish hornbows are so fast.
Simple.  ;)

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 02:57:06 am »
I can't add anything to this discussion, but reading all you experts discussing tillering from first principles is really helpful for the likes of me who as yet know essentially squat about it but like to know the 'why' as well as the 'how' - so thank you!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2014, 08:04:54 am »
Usually only do it when I am getting really close to what I want, little harder to take to much off the edge ;) so for fine tuning and final tiller I use it some. :) Interesting conversation going on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2014, 05:47:30 pm »
I'm not sure where you got the Info on side tillering pyramid bows, I've built a ton of them and don't think I've ever side tillered one, I start with an even thickness but buy the time I'm done tillering there's usually a silght thickness taper

I agree.  Mine end up with almost no taper in thickness, but the thing I like about pyramid bows is that I cut the fron profile out and then don't mess with it.  The very slight thickness taper sort of happens by default.  For instance, I put maybe a slight trapezoid to the cross section, and smooth that in and I'm done.

If all your previous bows were simply tapered side to side in straight lines, like a long, skinny triangle, there shouldn't be room for much front to back taper.  The regular bend of the consistent side taper isn't just good for bows, it is essentially an engineering principle.  So, I'm puzzled, a little.

Offline bow101

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2014, 07:32:17 pm »
My bow is hard maple.  It's a Christmas gift and, being that we're well into Dec., there's no way I'm gonna commit it to an experiment.   ::)  Hopefully, it'll be "harvesting" forest rats next year.

It'll be interesting to see Del's results!!

Lately this is all I make Maple Lam bows with a 20" power lam.  About 1 3/4"  fade down to about 3/8" - - - 1/2" tips.  I do not touch the bellys nor are the lams tapered.   I just taper them down, have to be careful where you start because of limb twist.
My bows take about 1" -  1 1/2" of set, and they are all stressed to over 29".  Maple is very forgiving the wood fibers stretch more than most woods.  ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2014, 07:49:00 pm »
Thanks, 101, for the post.
Fyi, I busted the $!*& bow shortly after getting to full brace.   :(
I've got a couple maple bows and do like 'em.  But haven't tried the lam route yet.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 08:29:15 pm »
Alright mike. You have suffered enough. Come by the shop and I'll get you fixed up on a good stave to make a suitable bow from

"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »
Alright mike. You have suffered enough. Come by the shop and I'll get you fixed up on a good stave to make a suitable bow from
;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857