Author Topic: Advice needed for juniper nocks  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Aaron H

Advice needed for juniper nocks
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:12 pm »
I am currently building a sinew backed juniper bow, and I would like it to have pin nocks.  I am just a little sceptical about using fast flight with self nocks on juniper.  Your thoughts?

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Advice needed for juniper nocks
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:13 pm »
Build up your string loops with some strands of Dacron to bulk them up. Also, give you nocks a nice wrapping of sinew

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:52 pm »
That's kinda what I was thinking wizard, just wrapping the nocks with some sinew.  I usually pad my fast flight strings with dacron and serve them with halo anyway.  Just wondering what everyone else does.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:33:05 pm »
Also, I have a nice piece I am working with now but I am a little afraid that it will not be as wide as I need it to be. It is currently roughed out and measures 53" long but only 1 1/2" wide.  I was hoping I would end up with a piece that was 1 3/4" - 2" wide.  I plan to put 2-3 courses of sinew. Anyone think this may be a little narrow for juniper?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:52:49 pm by Falcon »

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »
You can still do an overlay with pin nocks.  I have some ERC that I want to get to soon, and was thinking about doing that with osage.  Check out this thread:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,45951.0.html

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »
Yea, I agree timbo.  I guess I was just thinking that I was wanting to keep more primitive/simple or along the lines of a northwestern native style bow.  But I guess fast flight is deviating from that style quite a bit already huh?  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:47:42 pm »
Soak the pin nocks with the very thin superglue?  That will saturate deep into the wood fibers and harden then up.  It doesn't really change the looks of the bow any, but provides a measure of resistence to the string cutting into the soft wood.

Ain't cheatin' if no one sees it happen!  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 02:29:29 am »
your sinew should extend around and over your pin nock and they will hold up just fine
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:55:47 am »
Well I was thinking of steaming in some short static recurves into each limb, and ending the sinew about 6-8" before the nocks just to reduce weight at the ends.  At the nocks I would just give it a healthy wrapping of sinew to prevent the string from gouging the soft juniper.  Those are my initial thoughts anyways, tell me if am setting myself up for failure.